Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit Question

Hi there. Can one turn off TextEdit font/color changing when copying from the internet website over to the TextEdit? Let me explain what I mean. My TextEdit default rich and plain text font is set to Georgia 14. However, when I copy over text from some websites the copied text appear in another font and color, the one on the website I assume. Can this feature be disabled?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 9:18 AM

Sure - TextEdit can work in two modes - plain text and rich text, where the latter includes font styling, size, etc.

When you paste your text into the document, TextEdit analyzes the text, recognizes the style data and assumes you want a rich-text rendition of the data, so that's what you get.

The solution: Format -> Make Plain Text

This will strip out all the style/formatting data and leave you with a plain text document.

You can also set the default document type (rich/plain) in TextEdit -> Preferences

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2012 9:18 AM in response to JanRyt

Sure - TextEdit can work in two modes - plain text and rich text, where the latter includes font styling, size, etc.

When you paste your text into the document, TextEdit analyzes the text, recognizes the style data and assumes you want a rich-text rendition of the data, so that's what you get.

The solution: Format -> Make Plain Text

This will strip out all the style/formatting data and leave you with a plain text document.

You can also set the default document type (rich/plain) in TextEdit -> Preferences

Jan 8, 2013 10:20 PM in response to JanRyt

Related question: I often select and copy an article in my browser, and paste to textedit. Using RTF, until very recently pictures were carried to the RTF file with the text. That is no longer happening, though the files are still RTF. I'm only getting the text from the article,its rich text, as it was on the webpage, but no images. What happened? I don't see any settings to omit images in RTF. Any ideas?

Feb 1, 2013 3:58 AM in response to smdvmx

It's been suggested that Safari will work. Although it does, the images are pasted into TextEdit as thumbnails rather than the size displayed on screen.

Preferences doesn't seem to offer any overrides.

This is a big disappointment for me. I'm surprised by the resounding silence about this issue.

Are people just saving pages from the browser as html documents (with all the associated bloat)?

May 22, 2013 12:21 PM in response to JanRyt

I'm having the same issue since upgrading from 10.6.8.

Since I purchased my new iMac running Mountain Lion, TextEdit is useless for copying images or dragging from a browser.

I used to drag images from a browser into TextEdit and now it looks like it should work, even changing the icon as I hover over TextEdit, but when I release the image, it inserts a blank space.

I can't copy and paste images either.

Only when I insert an image from Finder does it work—but that is not acceptable. This is rare that a program would have LESS functionality than before.

Apr 22, 2014 2:51 PM in response to thundrblt

Here's what I'm doing for this problem- either set Textedit dfault to 'rich text', or make the plain text version 'rich text' (under 'format'); then drag the desired image from the browser to the desktop and drop it there; then pick it up and drop it where it belongs on your text version of the page. A pop up will ask if you want to convert the document to RTFD format, click 'convert' and it will go in as a picture.

TextEdit Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.