Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive assistance?

Hard drives is a vicious arena. Everybody makes the best and they all are trash at the same time.

I am an average user and looking to upgrade by external hard drive. I want Firewire 800 and want a small compact 2nd drive with USB2.0 bus - that I can use to transfer iTunes/iPhoto to an older Mac Mini in a different part of the house.

Been looking at G-Drive, LaCie and perhaps Seagate and OWC. I have seen so much good and bad that I have become thoroughly confused and would welcome any and all comments and/or suggestions. Having trouble deciding - have been told to make sure it has encription software for security, but just not sure anymore.

PLEASE HELP!

OS X Mountain Lion, 2TB Western Digital external drive for mymac

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 8:31 AM

19 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:07 AM in response to Zimmer1956

I usually roll my own. Six or eight Phillips screws and your finished. These are the three I currently have. The last is four years old:

Macally GS350SUAB2 Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/1394B/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD

w/Seagate 2TB ST32000542AS Barracuda® Green SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive

Macally GS350SUAB Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/1394B/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD

w/Hitachi 1TB HD31000 IDK/7K Deskstar SATA 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive

Macally GS350SUA Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD

w/Seagate ST3750640AS Barracuda 750 GB SATA 3.0GB/s Internal Hard Drive

BTW, I never use USB 2.0, since it's slower than molasses. I likewise disdain WC's products since they don't provide any support if you want to boot Macs with them and their SmartWare software isn't and it is disastrous for Macs.

Sep 30, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Zimmer1956

Zimmer1956 wrote:

Thanks this has helped.

Your welcome!

Zimmer1956 wrote:

Has anyone experience with the Seagate Go Flex

I do have a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex (portable) that I use for sharing music and pictures between PC's and Mac's, but stick to Desktop Drives for more serious backups.

Zimmer1956 wrote:

or Backup Plus for Mac?

I always erase and format my backup drives and never use Seagate's or WD's included backup software.

For good backup strategies, see > My backup plan Macworld

Sep 30, 2012 12:48 PM in response to baltwo

😉 Thanks

No worries here, I have no less than a dozen backup drives in FireWire and USB flavors, including a Universal Drive adapter that I use to cycle bare drives in and out of the fire safe. I'm so anal, I even run the same User Libraries in three different OS X's and each of those is backed up at least once. For the most part I use CarbonCopyCloner and no longer use Time Machine after it croaked one of my Seagate drives. I don't do web based backups, because I'm to cheap to pay the extra monthly cost to upgrade from DSL to Broadband.

External Hard Drive assistance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.