Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete plist.lockfiles in 10.8.2

When I installed OS X 10.7 a lot of plist.lockfiles were created. I now have OS X 10.8.2 and wonder if I can delete all of them from user/library.preferences or would it do any harm ?

I know the file size but I want do some cleaning 🙂

Thanks for your help !

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2 X 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:56 AM

Yes its ok. Its the same as in Lion.

"The lockfile is just an empty file entry in the volume's directory, so if you are transferring preferences from one system to another, or from one account to another on the same system, then you can still do so by copying the .plist file and leave the .lockfile where it is on the file system.

"The lockfile can also be safely removed at any point (provided it is not in a locked state), though this would be pointless to do because the system will just recreate it the next time the respective program is launched."

Here'e the Explanation

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20093292-263/lockfiles-and-other-plist-file -subtypes-in-os-x-lion/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2012 10:56 AM in response to mgshoutman

Yes its ok. Its the same as in Lion.

"The lockfile is just an empty file entry in the volume's directory, so if you are transferring preferences from one system to another, or from one account to another on the same system, then you can still do so by copying the .plist file and leave the .lockfile where it is on the file system.

"The lockfile can also be safely removed at any point (provided it is not in a locked state), though this would be pointless to do because the system will just recreate it the next time the respective program is launched."

Here'e the Explanation

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20093292-263/lockfiles-and-other-plist-file -subtypes-in-os-x-lion/

Can I delete plist.lockfiles in 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.