Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a mac book pro that i bought in late 2009. My current software is snow leopard version 10.5.8. I would like to get the new lion operating system but I cant without first getting the latest version of snow leopard. it doesnt show on software updat

I have a mac book pro that i bought in late 2009. My current software is snow leopard version 10.5.8. I would like to get the new lion operating system but I cant without first getting the latest version of snow leopard. however when I go to update my software it doesnt show that any update is available.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 11:30 AM

4 replies

Sep 25, 2012 2:11 PM in response to dah62

10.5.8 is Leopard, not Snow Leopard. You need the Snow Leopard DVD;

You can get it only by phone now from Apple.

In the US, call 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask for a sales assistant. Last quoted price was $19.99 for the single-user and $29.99 for the family licence.

For other countries, check here; http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Don't forget to ask for Sales; the tech support guys can't help.

If you want Lion, rather than Mountain Lion, the same Sales team can give you a download code to use at the Mac AppStore.

To get the App Store, you need to update your new Snow Leopard from 10.6.3 (which is the version on the installer) to 10.6.8 with the combo update; http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Be warned that the upgrades will render a lot of older software unusable, and will need new drivers for printers and scanners in all likelihood.

I have a mac book pro that i bought in late 2009. My current software is snow leopard version 10.5.8. I would like to get the new lion operating system but I cant without first getting the latest version of snow leopard. it doesnt show on software updat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.