Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Benefits of iMessage?

If you have unlimited texting as a part of your carrier service, is their any benefit to using iMessage? Unless there's a strong benefit there I'd rather use my unlimited SMS and MMS instead of data all the time. I verified with Verizon that picture messages and video messages do no draw from my data allotment. iMessage uses data. Just trying to figure out the best way for my family to exchange pics via messaging. As far as I can tell, turning off iMessage is the way to go. Thoughts?

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:37 PM

If you have unlimited texting then it shouldn't matter.

4 replies

Sep 25, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Donbaloo

The only advantage to iMessage if you have unlimited SMS/MMS, is if you are out of the country, or trying to contact someone out of the country. That way you are not using international SMS/MMS. It also helps if you are on wi-fi somewhere and have a poor/no cellular signal. However, if you are trying to SMS/MMS someone with an iOS device with iOS5 or later, if you have iMessage on it will attempt to send iMessage first. So as you said, you can turn it off it you like.

Benefits of iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.