Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with permissions and missing home folder at admin User

Hello everybody. After a search I realized that many people suffer from preferences problems while creating sharing points and adding/modifying Users.

Today I had this really weird issue. While I was modyfying permissions and Users at Sharing Points (using Server app) all of a suden, some application icons at the dock replaced by a "?" and I got a message that home folder isn't located where it should be and I also couldn't launch preferences by any means. I also couldn't acess my home folder. All these problems occured while I was using the admin account. When I switched account everything worked as it should. So I was typing the admin name and password to do anything that needs admin privileges. Its really weird.

I try to fix permissions with disk utility at Safe Mode and even it was repairing some ACLs nothing got fixed at the end. I also tried to edit permissions with the terminal by sudo commands and also nothing happened.

Any ideas ???? I already formated the Mac cause of these troubles so I don't want to do it again even though I am not sure that a format will fix the problem.

X-Code-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:17 PM

There are no replies.

Problem with permissions and missing home folder at admin User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.