Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latest Security update

The latest security update on September 21 caused my computer to slow to a crawl and I could only quit applications by force quit. How do I reinstall everything up to the last security update? The 10.6.8 combo includes the latest security update. I reinstalled 10.6.4 but would like to get back to 10.6.8 without the latest security update.

Yes, I had already fixed permissions using both Disk Utility and Disk Warrior.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:42 PM

14 replies

Sep 25, 2012 1:49 PM in response to Ken Rohrer

Before you downgraded to 10.6.4 did you first erase the drive? You cannot downgrade over an existing system. Furthermore, the security update shouldn't have any impact on your computers level of performance.

At this point I suggest you backup your files. Boot from your Snow Leopard DVD, erase the hard drive, then install Snow Leopard. Download the 10.6.8 Combo update and install it. You should find your computer's performance is fine. You can then go about restoring your files.

Sep 25, 2012 2:21 PM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy,

Secret Questions .. 🙂 .. I tried to make a point in my "question"; maybe "secret questions" could be more open, for inst. like AmEx where I - the last time I was asked - could make my own questions. I should imagine that the idea ALSO is to remember the question. And I am aware of the fact that millions of children use iPhone (thank you for reminding me), but I thought maybe ALSO adults could use it and feel comfortable with it.

You see Kappy, some of us are beginning to get a little tired of all the secret stuff .. and especially when experience tells us that people who really want to hack or misuse information .. they manage in spite of "who was your managers name" .. (I neve had one).

Next time you feel for delivering a quick answer, why not try to answer it instead of trying to show that you are so very clever? Some of us have some education you know.. it's not only you...

Sep 25, 2012 3:20 PM in response to Kappy

The security update did indeed effect my level of perfmance. Before the install, everything was OK. After the install the system slowed to a crawl and apps had to be force quit. Many didn't work at all. Still no improvement after rebuilding the directory and fixing permissions with Disk Warrior. I have read other complaints about this security update. Still no answer to my question. I need a combo update for 10.6.8 WITHOUT the latest security update.

Sep 25, 2012 3:31 PM in response to Ken Rohrer

Ken Rohrer wrote:

I am sure of that. Apple says so.

Which is the latest Security Update we are talking about? 2012-004 is the latest.

Apple says so.

Who at Apple says so? First level tech support is often riddled with misinformation -- even senior tech support. The 10.6.8 v1.1 Combo was posted July 25, 2011 and, though I might be wrong, I would be surprised if it's been modified to include the latest Security Update, which was only just posted on 9/19/2012.

Sep 25, 2012 3:44 PM in response to Ken Rohrer

That's exactly what I was going to write just now. That's a generic listing of all the Security Updates and doesn't necessarily mean that the 2102-004 is included in the Combo. Apple pointing to this page is kind of misleading. I can't absolutely confirm one way or the other. I'm just saying I'm doubtful. Besides, looks like the size of the Combo hasn't changed, although that may not be particularly meaningful anyway.

Perhaps the only way to know is if someone who hasn't run the 2012-004 runs the Combo and then looks to see if Software Update lists it. Even then, I'm not certain that would provide proof.

latest Security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.