Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I replace osx 10.6 with my original osx 10.4 to reinstall os in trouble shooting a software problem? My hard drive was replaced by apple because it (2007) had bad drives in 2011 with 10.6. Now all I have is start up disks for 10.4 osx .

Help replacing 10.6 osx with 10.4 original osx start up disks . What will happen?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 1:33 PM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2012 1:40 PM in response to vwsparko

Do you not have a Snow Leopard DVD? To install Tiger will require that you erase the drive.

Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your Tiger Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. When completed quit DU and return to the installer. Install Tiger.

If you don't have a Snow Leopard DVD and wish to upgrade to Snow Leopard, then you will need to purchase the DVD:

If you need to purchase Snow Leopard contact Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service. The price is $29.00 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

Third-party sources for Snow Leopard are:

Snow Leopard from Amazon.com

Snow Leopard from eBay

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

can I replace osx 10.6 with my original osx 10.4 to reinstall os in trouble shooting a software problem? My hard drive was replaced by apple because it (2007) had bad drives in 2011 with 10.6. Now all I have is start up disks for 10.4 osx .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.