Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand for iOS - Cannot share songs using a PC

After about an hour with a very helpful support tech, we discovered that it is IMOSSIBLE to copy a GarageBand (.band) file from an iPad to an iPod using Itunes for Windows. The problem is that Windows sees the data as a "folder," but GarageBand will only import it as a "file." It works fine on a Mac. I hope this saves some people some time and frustration.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 4:42 PM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2012 7:45 PM in response to mikeb39a

I came up with this work-around to copy iPad / GarageBand audio files into my PC (Mixcraft 6) doing this:

1. Record your song using MIDI or Audio.

2. "Merge" each individual MIDI track, which will create an audio version

3. Close/Save the song

4. On iPad, click Edit / Share / iTunes

5. Connect iPad to PC, open iTunes, click on Devices / iPad / Apps / GarageBand

6. Select the song (it will be a folder), and at the bottom of the screen click "Save to..." and save the folder to the Desktop or wherever.

7. Locate folder on the PC, open it and then open the "Media" folder.

8. All the audio files will be there in the .aif format. The file names will be the original GB names; rename them if you like. The converted MIDI tracks will be labeled "Merged Track (1,2,3, etc)." Play the tracks to identify what instruments are on those tracks, and rename them.

9. Copy each track and paste it to an open audio track in Mixcraft 6.

This will probably work with any recording program that supports .aif files.

YMMV, good luck, it's working for me!

Ripley

GarageBand for iOS - Cannot share songs using a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.