Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to get windows on my Mac

I need to get windows on my MBP in snow leopard. I have a 750gig HD half full, with 375gig free. Can I add Windows even if I have a ton of apps and files already on it. I dont want to wipe it and start from scratch. I cant get AutoIT to work the way I need to in order to learn it.

my work is switching BACK to PCs. I use 25+ Applescripts I have written myself and now will need to learn AutoIT for PC.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:26 PM

You can load Windows through BootCamp (Applications > Utilities). It partitions part of the drive into an FAT partition that a Windows install disk will format as NTFS. That way Windows will use all of the RAM and CPU, after you shutdown and boot into the Windows sector.

Rememebr that it is tricky to change the size of this bootcamp partition later, so you should have at least 60 GB (but with large programs to load just allocate 120-150 GB and be done with it).

Also remember that you need 15% of the OSX partition free to allow OSX to swap OS parts onto the HD, when deciding the allocated BootCamp partition size.

Or you can load Windows into a VM (Virtualbox, VMWare Fusion, Parallels) and run both side-by-side. But you need more than 4 GB RAM because the two OSs will be sharing CPU and RAM.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2012 6:26 PM in response to FCPeditor

You can load Windows through BootCamp (Applications > Utilities). It partitions part of the drive into an FAT partition that a Windows install disk will format as NTFS. That way Windows will use all of the RAM and CPU, after you shutdown and boot into the Windows sector.

Rememebr that it is tricky to change the size of this bootcamp partition later, so you should have at least 60 GB (but with large programs to load just allocate 120-150 GB and be done with it).

Also remember that you need 15% of the OSX partition free to allow OSX to swap OS parts onto the HD, when deciding the allocated BootCamp partition size.

Or you can load Windows into a VM (Virtualbox, VMWare Fusion, Parallels) and run both side-by-side. But you need more than 4 GB RAM because the two OSs will be sharing CPU and RAM.

Sep 25, 2012 6:34 PM in response to FCPeditor

If you only allocate 50 GB, you need to turn off "recovery partition" in Windows, as that will keep many GB aside for "undo and recovery" operations. You need to strip Windows down to barebones and not load too much under that BootCamp.

Also ...

BootCamp essentially alter the bootsector of the system to allow dual-booting. This NORMALLY goes without a hitch, but some times corrupts the boot secotr and requires reload of OSX. If you make a clone (CarbonCopyClone, $40 download) before you BootCamp you can boot from it and reload the OSX onto the disk IF the BootCamp goes bad. This is not suggesting you will screw up, just saying that it is better to be prepared to recover with grace.

Sep 25, 2012 8:38 PM in response to FCPeditor

Runing VMFusion with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and various Linux's

VirtualBox with Windows 8

All cloned together to a external drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, piece of cake and it's bootable. 😉

Bootcamp? Blah! If I need Windows performance I'll guy a gaming tower.

Windows in BootCamp or Virtual Machine?

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Bootable clones and virtual machines rule, TimeMachine is for newbies and Bootcamp is a severe pwning waiting to happen.

My vm gets pawned, it's only seconds to revert to a earlier snapshot. 😉

Sep 26, 2012 12:32 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

Boot Camp is risky. I would try VirtualBox instead:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

It doesn't work well with 10.8.2, but thus far works with everything earlier.

What about the performance of VirtualBox? I use some SoundSoftware with Parallels and Windows7. It's almost ok but I have problems with ASIO and PErformance issues from time to time. Wouldn't it be better to directly reboot into windows7 instead of running it virtual?

Sep 26, 2012 3:23 AM in response to Varnagandr

I run remote desktop on virtualbox to telework into my office. I have no issues with performance. But performace often has more to do with the application hardware requirements. Look at its requirements, and ask the virtualization software community if you can expect the same performance. Games are much more particular about hardware performan than any other software.

need to get windows on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.