Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.2 and STILL no real NAT/DHCP admin?

I keep having to roll back to 10.7 cos 10.8.* WON'T do NAT/DHCP....Dammit!

Anyone had any luck?

Dual ethernet MacPro 2009...

Bobs

Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 8-core Nehalem. 20gb/2tb/2tb/2tb/2tb, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Did have Logic Node Macs G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, Dual 1.8, now servers,

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:34 PM

16 replies

Sep 27, 2012 3:37 AM in response to Mark23

The DHCP settings have come back, but how to manage NAT at the latest Server version 2.1.1?

The Apple document reads,

"Important: Do not enable Internet Sharing if you have configured custom settings for the DHCP service in OS X Server. Any existing DHCP settings will be overwritten if you enable Internet Sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences."

( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5414 )

If so, the new DHCP settings will be useless if you use Internet Sharing (NAT).

How to use NAT and DHCP server at the same time on a Mac OS X Server 10.8? 😠

Sep 29, 2012 7:27 AM in response to metekel

It seems that Apple wishes us to use pfctl in the command line as inhttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT5414 :

"Custom NAT configurations can be configured using the pfctl command. For instructions, please see man pfctl."

But this is far from ideal that we cannot use GUI for such simple features. And the pfctl controls packets filtering too, making the settings not so easy. Also, Apple is so irresponsible to simply ask their customers to man pfctl without giving any further document. I wish I can ask my own clients to "man somethings, don't bother me" which they have problems. 😠

Sep 29, 2012 11:54 PM in response to Mark23

To make it work u either have to PURCHASE an Airport or TimeCapsule, which is UNFAIR.

I have a REAL Apple Mac Server (purchased as such) with ethernet which will NOT pass NAT anymore unless I use either of the above items! 10.7.5 is now having the same issues too as 10.8.x . It's easier to buy someone else's router, rebox it and sell it than make code work?? Not kewl Apple! Spank your coders for being behind the curve on this. ie BSD.....

Totally miffed...

And yes, we're paying for gui so give us it, not a excuse of go learn Unix, that we've actually broken or haven't learnt either" (see metekel below)

Nuff said... Please fix...

Bobs

Message was edited by: Bobbi Style ~ was late, bad typing....

Nov 3, 2012 4:07 AM in response to Eightoone

Still unable to configurate the DHCP and NAT (nor "Internet Sharing") up to now.

My Mac Mini Server was supposed to be a powerful router to share internet among a few computers and at the same time to serve several Apple services including Time Machine and AFP. Now I am forced to attached an old router to do the DHCP and NAT, which degrades the speed of the whole network a lot.

Very disappointed. It was so easy to do so when I used the Snow Leopard Server.

10.8.2 and STILL no real NAT/DHCP admin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.