Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 breaks corp proxy authentication

Hi All.

I recently updated my iPhone 4S from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.

I now can no longer access the internet through our corporate web proxy. In fact it's displaying the same symptoms it used to display under iOS 5.1 and earlier (fixed in 5.1.1).

The symptoms are:

* The proxy logs show a 407 auth challenge has been sent to the client.

* the device does not respond using the username and password I assigned to the proxy for the WiFi profile.

* occasionally the device pops up a login dialog for the proxy, but fails to auth even when I enter correct credentials

So, basically it is ignoring the creds I entered. It's a real shame this bug crept back into 6 after it was finally fixed.

The proxy server is our own product - WinGate - so we can see exactly what is going on, and we do know a bit about proxy auth. If anyone from Apple wants to fix this once and for all, please get in touch. I've seen other posts about using auto proxy detect (which then doesn't have credentials), but that didn't work either.

Posts about attempting to access a success.html file on apple's servers and assuming a captive portal if it fails seems to me very misguided, I certainly hope Apple didn't take that disastrous approach. Proxy auth is deterministic, and requires no assumptions to be made at all.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:32 PM

1 reply

iOS 6 breaks corp proxy authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.