Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI Problem iOS 6

Having problem with internet connectivity on WIFI - anything that depends on DNS for data whether it is a web browser or an app while using WIFI. I call this problem "WIFI Lockout".

This happens on iphone 4, ipad 2 and ipad 3 that has been updated to iOS 6.

I am not talking about the issue of the missing apple page (day 1) or the inability to turn on/configure WIFI after updating to iOS 6.

This is what i have discovered so far.

You could be in the middle of surfing or using any app that makes data calls based on DNS (when you type google.com that is translated in the background so your device knows where to go - summary only) and suddenly you can go no where or do nothing!

Sometimes conectivity goes trouble free for long periods, other times it is repetitive "WIFI Lockout".

Yea sure, you can restart the WIFI connection, but WHO wants to CONTINUALLY do that?

Interestingly enought the device is still successfully connected to the internet via WIFI, but DNS request fail to pass successfully from the iOS 6 device.

Apple (or any curious iOS 6 user that wants to see my point), when this happens "WIFI Lockout" open up a browser before you reset the WIFI connection and type type 74.125.227.144 (google) and then “go” (I tried both safari and chrome). A google search page will come up and you will be able to execute a search (of course any link you click on will not work as it is dependant on DNS resolution).

The above IP connection to google proves NON DNS traffic works, so the issue is not the WIFI connection to the access point that is the problem. It is not an access point configuration/firmware or security protocol issue either because data does pass when the above steps are followed.

I KNOW THIS IS NOT ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WITH iOS 6, BUT THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM NOT BEING ABLE TO SURF OR GET DATA THE iOS 6 DEVICE IS REQUESTING WHILE ON WIFI.

iOS 6

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 8:32 PM

3 replies

WIFI Problem iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.