Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel HD Audio, bad sound quality

Hi there,

I'm used to some Creative sound cards for PC and the Cirrus chip in my old MacBook. The Intel HD Audio chip in my rMBP sounds bad. That is my conclusion after three weeks. The Cirrus from my old MacBook sounded far more pleasant and I even like the iPhone sound better than that what came out of the audio output from my Retina 😟

I'm using Beyerdynamic headphones and I would describe the sound somehow 'dull', no clean highs and lows, no punch. The Beyerdynamics are capable of a very clear sound and very punchy bass but the limit here seems to be the Intel audio chip.

I know that audio impressions are very subjective but am I the only one complaining about sound quality on the Intel HD Audio?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:00 AM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2012 5:09 PM in response to reery

I have to agree but I doubt most people notice. Not a lot a audiophiles anymore. Intel HD specs are typical of a low costs digital to analog converter. You won't find many laptops that spend a lot on sound quality. Although their are a couple PC's that have certified sound with better sound cards. I would think your Macbook like mine has a optical digital connection through the audio jack. If you really want better D/A conversion you could buy a external D/A converter and connect through the optical output. Personally I use a pair of SkullCandy Hesh 2's and find the sound very good. I certainly have heard worse. At least S/N ratio is pretty good. Some laptops I have had in the past really had some nasty background hiss.

Intel HD Audio, bad sound quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.