Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update or clean install

Hello everybody,

my macbookpro is on 10.6.8 and for various reasons i'd like to migrate to Mountain Lion but without erasing all my non-native apps (FCP,Outlook,etc) and other things. So im talking about an update not a clean install, am i right ?

Is there a special procedure to prevent from erasing all the data. i.e does the installer offer choice between update or clean install or shall i do something special during the install process

Tks for your advice

Gilles

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:58 AM

Theoretically, an update should do just fine. However, many people are having problems then since a lot of old junk remains on your machine, worst older non-ML-compatible apps which are then likely to cause trouble. So, be ready to do some thorough cleaning up after upgrading, at least emptying caches and installing/updating non-native apps to ML-compatible versions.

I chose clean ML installs and haven't regret it once.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2012 2:58 AM in response to Gilles Collignon

Theoretically, an update should do just fine. However, many people are having problems then since a lot of old junk remains on your machine, worst older non-ML-compatible apps which are then likely to cause trouble. So, be ready to do some thorough cleaning up after upgrading, at least emptying caches and installing/updating non-native apps to ML-compatible versions.

I chose clean ML installs and haven't regret it once.

update or clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.