Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every Printer Eventually Gives "Out of paper" Message

Since installing Lion July 2011 every printer I have bought eventually displays "Printer Out Of Paper" message, usually within the first 4-6 weeks. Each printer was listed as being compatible with OS X 7.. Doesn't matter manufacturer or price. Canon Pixma has lasted the longest but I returned an HP for another PIXMA last week and within 4 days started getting the out of paper message. Of course, there's plenty of paper in the printer properly loaded. I can coax the thing to work by putting pressure on the end of the paper and pushing it towards the back of the machine. If history repeats itself, I have about two weeks before I'll be returning this one too.

Anyone have any ideas? None of the manufacturers websites have been helpful.

Thanks

keith

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:47 AM

7 replies

Sep 29, 2012 12:52 AM in response to ShlomiL

Hi Shlomil

Thanks for replying. I hve tried every paper imaginable. All work equally well. All eventually stop. Once I get the error message consistently, doesn't matter what paper's in the machine, it simply won't be seen and there's nothing i can do

i want to install mt lion but have been having problems backing up my macbook with carbon copy cloner and then my lacie external hard drive died

Sep 30, 2012 5:16 AM in response to keith contarino

Thank you for clarifying Keith,

As the same appear with different printers I would rather suspect any OS. media or envoirment related or any common cause..

Try resetting the printing system and check if that may help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01371980&tmp_task=useCatego ry&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3853829

Once the printing system reset completes, click the plus sign and add the printer once again.

If the same persist - if you use a USB try using a differnt USB cable, ensure it is no longer than 2-3m long and directly connected to your Mac, any network issue may also cause a such if yiu use the pritner thrugh the network.

If there is no difference yes I would also recommend you to try using a different power source, make sure not to use any surge protector or power hub, try plugging the printer into a different power socket and check for any change.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Apr 1, 2013 1:31 PM in response to ShlomiL

Shlomil

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Since last Oct I have tried an HP a Brother A Lexmark and have been through 2 more Pixmas. The last I shot out of frustration. The HP and Lexmark each lasted 48 hours before I got the dreaded Out Of Paper message. I have reset the printing system numerous times. I have tried multiple types of paper and at least 5 short USB cords. I never try wireless. I have plugged the printers into the wall in 3 locations with and without surge protectors. The Brother lasted about a week. The Canon Pixma still lasts the longest but the last one about 3 weeks and there are no more. I have uninstalled every printer and reinstalled. I have been to Canon's website and made sure I had the latest drivers. I'm still using my Macbook 13.3" mid 2010 and running OS 10.7.5. I've had no other problems with Lion since 10.7.5 and the people at the Mac store suggested I NOT install Mountain Lion as my Macbook cannot take advantage of it's capabilities. Once the Out Of Paper Error comes on, game over. I could force feed the next to last Pixma for 3 or 4 days after the error came on but not the last printer. Won't print out of Word, won't print PDF files, won't print web pages. I used the printers mostly to print shipping labels bought either at USPS or through Paypal. The printers are inexpensive and pay for themselves within a month due to online shipping discounts. Once I get the error I reset the printing system, then reboot the printer and within 30 seconds Out Of Paper. This is costing me a fortune in postal fees not to mention aggravation. There is a $99 printer online at the Apple Store. Worth a try? Do you think Mt Lion would work better? I have a bootable backup Clone on CCC just in case. Willing to try most anything

thanks

keith

Apr 8, 2013 5:03 AM in response to petermac87

Hi Pete

As I said, the good folks at the PeachMac store said not to but here are my specs. Wasn;t sure exactly what you wanted so if I omitted anything let me know.

On a maybe happy note I bought a $79 HP and it installed wireless seamlessly!! First printer I have been able to get to be wireless so maybe my search is over. Still appreciate any advice.

Thank you

keith

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E

SMC Version (system): 1.60f6

Serial Number (system): QZ13005VF5W

Hardware UUID: 95BAE820-08B6-5347-87E0-B77CC95FFF6F

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x08a0

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3533

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Size: 4 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

NVidia MCP89 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP89 AHCI

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02:

Capacity: 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 bytes)

Model: Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02

Revision: PB2AC60W

Serial Number: 110407PBL200NSKDDGXX

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 124.6 GB (124,599,795,712 bytes)

Available: 49.29 GB (49,288,265,728 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Content: Apple_HFS

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

Macintosh HD 2:

Capacity: 124.47 GB (124,465,577,984 bytes)

Available: 112.36 GB (112,360,652,800 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s4

Mount Point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2

Content: Apple_HFS

Every Printer Eventually Gives "Out of paper" Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.