Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring music from iPod to iTunes after windows is reinstalled

Hi,

My dad's computer crashed and it had to be wiped and reinstalled with Windows XP.

There was no backup done for music etc.

I have reinstalled itunes and i'm trying to sync his iPod back up. A message appears asking to erase all of the data on the ipod and sync with the itunes library. The itunes library is empty, which i believe means it will erase the music on the ipod making this empty also?

It recognises that this is a new library even though it is the same computer. I tried the option for transfering purchases but this didn't pull anything through. Is there any way to transfer the music back from the ipod to the computer instead of erasing it and downloading the music all over again?

Many thanks.

Nick

iPod nano, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:35 AM

6 replies

Sep 6, 2013 1:05 AM in response to chestnutree

For windows users, there is a program called Dr.Fone for iOS by Wondershare that is specifically designed to recover MP3 files from your iPod (also from any hard disk, usb device, etc). This found all of my mp3's when I accidentally re-synced with a new OS/HD install. And at $69, it's by far the cheapest recovery option I have seen as most of the others are at least $99. Unfortunately there is no trial version, but they claim to have a full 30 day refund if it doesn't work for you.

Sep 7, 2013 8:44 AM in response to chestnutree

music is not stored in the backup. itunes assumes your music is in you itunes library.
for what is in a backup see:http://www.flash-video-soft.com/blog/?p=1301

specifically:
iTunes will back up the following information

* Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
* App Store Application data inlcuding in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
* Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
* Autofill for webpages.
* CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
* Calendar accounts.
* Calendar events.
* Call history.
* Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
* Game Center account.
* Home screen arrangement.
* In-app purchases.
* Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
* List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
* Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
* Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
* Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
* Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
* Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
* Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
* Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
* Notes.
* Offline web application cache/database.
* Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
* Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
* Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
* SMS and MMS (pictures and video) messages.
* Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
* Voice memos.
* Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
* Wallpapers.
* Web clips.
* YouTube bookmarks and history.

Sep 17, 2013 1:32 AM in response to chestnutree

Have you ever synced your iPad with computer? If you have backed up all the data,it is quite for you to recover your music files from iPod, if you have no backup files, it will be a little diffcult for you to recover your music, but there are ways to make it. You can search the internet for some sort of iPad data recovery software to halp you recover iPad lost data, especially music.

Restoring music from iPod to iTunes after windows is reinstalled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.