Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina: freezing on 'Testing memory.' during Apple Hardware Test

Hello everyone!

My Retina MacBook Pro also freezes after the update. AHT (Apple Hardware Test) in normal mode shows no problem but... when in extended testing it freezes on 'Testing memory.'

Is the RAM damaged? My RMBP was working for over 2 months just fine.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:55 AM

It needs to be replaced by Apple. Not just the RAM as that is soldered onto the logic board but the complete System needs to be replaced.

Take it to Apple.

5 replies

Sep 26, 2012 5:11 AM in response to sebo21

The extended test takes a very long time, run it overnight and see if it completes.

You also can run a extended Memetest (from Single User mode) or Rember Test (with no other programs running) to confirm.

And yes, the entire logic board will have to be replaced just for faulty RAM, which isn't too bright of a move by Apple, but I guess they figure they will gain by sealing the machine up, thus disallowing tinkering or third party repair and thus forcing people to buy a whole new machine after their 3 year AppleCare has expired

If you don't have AppleCare, you have year from the date of purchase to get it, or else your buying a new machine if it breaks after 1 year standard warranty has expired.

Sep 26, 2012 5:40 AM in response to ds store

Thanks for reply! I did run it overnight mate. Over 12 hours passed by & still nothing. You can tell that AHT is frozen... you can't move pointer, also pressing CMD + . doesn't work.

Ok I'll see about the Memtest.

Yes I am aware of the logic board.

I have Apple Care, all Retina MBPs are still on warranty I believe 😉 But I don't want to send it to service right away.

MacBook Pro Retina: freezing on 'Testing memory.' during Apple Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.