Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud says that my password is wrong but it isn't

When I try to log into icloud it says that my password is wrong even when it isn't, but when i log into icloud.com it works.

I have the same problem with the calendar on my mac it says that the password to my email is wrong but when i logged into

gmail it worked just fine. Does anyone have the same problem, or know how to fix it?

Edit: I updated my mac after the problem and I can log into all the new features with icloud and gmail

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 3:27 AM

hello,

i have the same problem, after the new the new update and it says my password is inccorect when its not and i have changed it twice and still no change and i get a pop up every 15mins asking me to logg in but i can't. any help guys would be nice 😁

2 replies

Oct 9, 2014 11:17 PM in response to RainbowLuke

My guess is you may have signed up for two-step verification? If so, be aware that Apple made some security changes recently (thanks to the celeb photo leaks). Many third party apps now require app-specific passwords, the goal of which is so that you are not using your master iCloud password with third party apps, where security may be lower than what Apple expects.

What was confusing for me is that, unlike a couple of messages in the last 2 weeks (Mail and one other I can't remember), this particular message I started receiving today did NOT mention an "app-specific password is required". It just said my iCloud password was incorrect (and I verified that it WAS correct). BUT.... the error message had an icon:

User uploaded file

I finally remembered it to be Fantastical, a small (and great, I might add) Calendar app.

So... you may have a third party app that, like this one, isn't being clear as to what is needed... you just need to get a third party app-specific password. Hope this helps:

Generate app-specific passwords

Follow the steps below to generate an app-specific password:

1. Go to My Apple ID.
  2. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in.
  3. Select Password and Security.
  4. Click Generate an App-Specific Password and follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the third party app as you would normally.

icloud says that my password is wrong but it isn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.