Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse select (click) not working reliably after updating to 10.8.2

Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)

iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

I bought this iMac at the end of June. I've been using it with a USB wireless mouse (Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000).

I installed the latest update (10.8.2) last night and restarted.

This morning, it was displaying the screen where you select the user to login. I could move the cursor around with my mouse, but clicking on an icon didn't open the password field. I finally powered it off and on, and then I could click to select my user icon and get a field to enter my password.

I used it for perhaps 5 minutes, with a Twitter app and Chrome open, and then clicking stopped working. I could move the cursor with the mouse, and scroll within the window, but couldn't select by clicking on the mouse. I used the key combo to Force Quit Chrome, in case it was just that app, but it didn't help.

I replaced the batteries in the mouse. No luck.

I swapped out for another USB mouse (Logitech). No luck.

I used the keyboard key combo to shut down, and then powered it back on. Still no clicky.

Powered it off, then on. Clicking worked.

I logged in, and checked my mouse preferences. They looked fine. I'm typing this in Chrome now, but I have no idea if it's just going to stop working again.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:30 AM

2 replies

Mouse select (click) not working reliably after updating to 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.