Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB mouse freezes after wake from sleep.

Since the 10.8.2 update my Logitech USB mouse freezes after waking up the computer from sleep or when it goes into energy save from non use. This also happens to my brand new MBPR. I tries repair permissions and reset the smc. Any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16gb ram

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:35 PM

Same issue with Logitech Anywhere MX mouse. Unplugging and replugging the receiver restores functionality, but not really a solution.

14 replies

Nov 8, 2012 4:31 PM in response to counterfugue

Follow up:

My Anywhere MX has been more stable lately. This is not really scientific, and it may or may not help you, but worth a try.

I noticed that when the mouse would freeze, I could coax it back to life by turning the batteries. That led me to just change them, even though the Logitech utility didn't indicate that I needed to change them. New batteries seem to work better. (not perfect, though) In the last two weeks I have had only one episode of frozen mouse. Maybe the contacts oxidize or some other factor comes into play.

Jan 16, 2014 11:48 AM in response to sjam

I just got an iMac with OS X 10.9.1. It came with a trackpad, which is great, but I also wanted a mouse. I installed a nice MS Mouse I had from a previous Windows PC and it worked fine - until the iMac went to sleep. Upon waking the machine from sleep, the scroll wheel would work but the mouse itself would not. The only way to move the cursor was using the trackpad. I have not installed any MS drivers. However, it seems that since several people with different brands of mice are having similar problems that the problem is more likely in OS X. While I can get the mouse to work again by unplugging it from the USB port and plugging it back in that is NOT the preferred solution. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Thanks, Tom.

Jan 18, 2014 9:22 PM in response to Boadie68

I get a frozen mouse (Microsoft Intellimouse Optical) on my 2012 Mac Mini running Mavericks (it did it with Mountain Lion also) when waking from sleep about 75% of the time which works again if I unplug/replug it (light is on and mouse buttons work when it's frozen, but the pointer won't move). It does this whether I use a built-in USB3 port, a USB2 hub and now also with my new USB3 hub.

However, my 2008 Macbook Pro also has an Intellimouse connected to it when docked and it NEVER freezes when waking from sleep whether using the built-in USB2 port or a Gmyle USB3 card port. Either way, the mouse wakes fine and it's the SAME MODEL MOUSE and SAME OSX verison. I have no idea why the inconsistency. It ***** because "Wake on Network Activity" FINALLY works right here in Mavericks with XBMC on my Mac Mini so there's a perfect opportunity to save some electricity. I got excited when it woke up two times in a row with 10.9.1 and set up my sleep controls only to find it wouldn't go to sleep with the Energy Savings menu because I have an external USB3.0 3TB media drive connected (at all times). I finally found out (through more patient testing) that once the drive spun down (possibly on its own power saving timer as I'm not sure the "Shut down hard drives when possible" setting works in Mavericks; it was messed up in Mountain Lion in 10.8.4 and even though 10.8.5 fixed it, I'm not sure Mavericks is using the same code. It doesn't seem to shut down any faster with or without the setting on and shuts off several minutes after the computer attempts to go to sleep (on a 1 minute test setting; I think WD defaults to 10 minutes in firmware).

Anyway, once that was resolved and I saw it would go to sleep eventually once the drive spun down (it will sleep instantly if I select SLEEP from the Apple menu which I find odd if it's such a big deal that it's connected....), I thought OH BOY! I'm all set. Then I woke it from that sleep and found my mouse was frozen again..... :-( What a PITA to unplug/plug the mouse every time it wakes from sleep. It's not worth it. I'll just have to pay the extra few bucks in electricity each month I could have saved to avoid such a freaking nightmare hassle. Why on God's Green Earth, Apple CANNOT or WILL NOT fix their darn energy savings features is just beyond me. Instead of spending all their time making horrible horrible ugly icon/GUI updates to iOS and making it slower and slower and slower, why don't they actually fix some darn bugs in OSX for once in their lives.... I'm starting to think I should give Windows another chance I'm so annoyed right now. But then I think about having to run a malware program and have that program update and Windows software/security updates 3x a day and I think I can just deal with the Mini not sleeping.....

I'd like to know why Apple couldn't figure out those of us with multiple monitors would want a dock on BOTH monitors all the time either (first side-mount docks wouldn't migrate and now in 10.9.1, bottom-mounted docks won't migrate here either, leaving a dock on one monitor all the time and if that's the monitor that is showing full-screen video, you lost your dock completely while the video is playing. They finally figured out after a full decade that having a menu bar on both screens would be a good idea, but it just didn't occur to them that the same is true of the dock. How much are they paying these guys? Too much apparently (or is it too little to attract talented thinkers? Nah, it couldn't be since we give them feedback and they just ignore it).

Jan 19, 2014 10:55 AM in response to MagnusVonMagnum

OK, I found the cause of the mouse freezing after quite a bit of experimentation. To make a very long story of unplugging peripherials and trying other mice, uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft Intellimouse driver, etc. short, it was...the mouse itself. I have two other exact same model Microsoft Intellimouse mice on other computers here and one of them is on my Macbook Pro and it never freezes. After finding that a Logitech mouse did not freeze and that removing the M$ driver made no difference and neither did any other USB peripherials, I tried the mouse from the Macbook Pro despite it being identical in model and neitehr having any operational issues. It didn't freeze. I tried the one on my old Windows gaming PC and it did not freeze. I've moved the problem mouse to the gaming PC that I don't use sleep on since it's rarely used anymore and its mouse to the Mac Mini and it wakes from sleep fine now with or without the M$ Intellimouse driver (I put it back in so I can configure the extra buttons). I can't imagine what could be wrong inside that mouse that ONLY causes a problem when waking from sleep (plugging it in and rebooting never causes a freeze and it never acts up in regular use). It was freezing perhaps 2/3 or 3/4 the time on average when waking from sleep. The other two never freeze (so far). So the bottom line is try another mouse, especially another brand one if you have one before concluding it's OSX itself. I can now finally save some power when the machine is not in use.

USB mouse freezes after wake from sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.