Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Airport Extreme with CenturyLink DDR2200 DSL Modem in Bridge Mode

Goal: Access the internet through the following sequence of network devices (in this order):

- Devices (Macs and otherwise)

- Switch

- Airport Extreme Base Station (NOT in bridge mode)

- CenturyLink's Cisco DDR2200 DSL modem (in bridge mode)

Reason: Our credit card merchant account requires quarterly IP scans to make sure our network is not accessible. WIth our old DSL modem, we passed, with this Cisco DDR2200 (CenturyLink's "Core Connect" service), we fail. I want the AEBS to be our firewall, and possibly allow us to pass inspection.

Problem: Centurylink says our bonded DSL line does not require PPPoE name and password, so there is no account data to enter in the AEBS.

Question: How can I get the AEBS to access the internet through a bridged DDR2200 modem, if I don't have PPPoE settings?

Thank you,

Bart

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:07 AM

4 replies

Sep 28, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Bart57266

After MANY phone calls, this is the conclusion:

The Cisco modem was shipped with firmware 03.45.4e, and there is a bug of some sort in it that prevents bridge mode from working properly. We downgraded the firmware to 03.40.5e, put it in brige mode, then connected everything as decribed in my original post, and the AEBS successfully obtained an IP address automatically from CenturyLink (no need for PPPoE settings).

The Cisco firmware was the problem all along.

I hope this saves at least one person from spending the hours I did chasing this problem.

Bart

How to use Airport Extreme with CenturyLink DDR2200 DSL Modem in Bridge Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.