Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter ship date?

Antone have an idea when the 30 pin adapter will ship? I ordered 2 from the apple store but still no mention of a shipping date? couldn't find any in any authorized apple dealer. haven't made it to a apple store yet.

Are they even available?

iPhone 5, iOS 6, Lightning to 30-pin Adapter

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:05 PM

I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they said they come out sometime in October. That is what it says on the website too. Hope to get them sooner.

24 replies

Oct 4, 2012 7:52 AM in response to JohnnieOil

This whole thing is crap! My whole house was set up with the standard 30 pin in mind - I've spend hundreds to make it work everywhere in my house, my car, at work etc. I was initially irritated with the new plug, but I understand things change - and with the idea that there would be an adapter, I figured this wasn't really a big issue - but so far I don't actually have an IPHONE - I have a phone that COULD be an iPhone once I can actually PLUG IT INTO SOMETHING!!!

The recent news that they have stalled anyone from making any aftermarket options, as well as any accessories while they themselves weren't prepared to actually have these ready makes me look at my tech choices seriously. Computers, router, apple TV's, iPhones, iPads, everything I own is Apple, Apple, Apple - because they used to be the most reliable - but when they can't even have the one thing we ALL need to make our phones actually useful with any products we may have purchased prior to "lightning" (which is funny because the syncing is about a million times slower), it makes me feel like I shouldn't have put all my apples in one basket...

Oct 4, 2012 8:29 AM in response to DjTracid

I just got off the chat channel with an Apple representative and all she could tell me is "sometime in October" and I'm just about as frustrated as you Dj. I'm in the same boat with having multiple accessories chained down to that 30 pin plug and can't use one of them.

I have an apple store close to my house so I don't want to pre-order and pay to have it shipped because the "Ship to Store" option isn't even available for the adapters. I'm almost considering selling my iPad 3 to get a new mini iPad when it comes out just to get an extra cable! Pretty pathetic if you ask me!

This whole cable change thing was done very poorly and I can garauntee that Jobs would be having heads rolling about this time were he alive today. Kind of makes you start to loose faith in this company with the substandard product roll-outs they've had lately.

It's bad enough that we have to pay for a $30 adapter much less wait an undisclosed amount of time to get one.

Not a happy customer!

Oct 5, 2012 1:50 PM in response to DjTracid

In my opinion, Apple's biggest mistake with iPhone 5 was the lack of Lightning accessories available at product introduction, in particular the adapter cable and the adapter plug module. These both should have been made avaialable on the introduction date; they're both Apple products and the whole secrecy angle shouldn't have been a problem. I would have also thrown in a lightning-HDMI adapter (where the heck is that?? It's not even on the Apple site) and possibly a custom lightning-30 pin adapter with full iPod audio functionality (ie, not just line level analog but iPod controls as well -- few people can just go buy a new car, for example).

Ideally they would have made lightning specs available to high quality vendors who would keep whatever secrets they needed and had those products approved and ready at or within a week or two of the iPhone 5 rollout. This would have really improved the rollout and quelled a lot of the skeptics.

I get a certain amount of secrecy related to iPhone development, but it seems like the entire "top secret" game coupled with the "big reveal" has gotten a little tired.

Oct 5, 2012 2:25 PM in response to JohnnieOil

The whole switch is irritating. The latest release of the iphone looks slapped together and it doesn't reflect the reputation that Apple built it's empire on. Apple was supposed to be the company where if you spent an extra few bucks, the quality of hardware and support was unsurpassed. Now, they are looking very typical when it comes to other electrontics companies. I've only recently bought a couple of Apple products, but it's impossible for me to understand the unconditional support that people have given them in the past. It shows that they were truely an innovative and caring company when you look at their fans. However, Apple is resting on its laurels.

Please show me that the recent iPhone 5 is not a bait and switch for accessories. Please get the adapters out to market. Please respond to our frustrations at the $30 price tag and proprietary nature. Please show us that this isn't a slapped together, half-baked operation. How many months were you guys working on this? Maybe you should have made it micro-USB? You are neither adapting or innovating...which is not a good sign.

Apple stock was supposed to hit $1,000 a share by the end of this year. It's looking more like Apple/Icarus are heading in Hewlett-Packard's direction.

Oct 6, 2012 6:39 AM in response to samdj615

I have had and very much like my 5 since release day. I am not thrilled not having the ability to use any of my accessories especially my 1500.00 Kenwood car DVD NAV which I had enjoyed Pandora on through my 4. I am currently forced to use my 4 getting internet from my Galaxy S which is just silly.

I understand things change. My point is Apple needed to have the cables/adapters available if not at launch certainly by now/with a freaking release date. I also got a Plantronics Voyager Legend and have the same thing. It has a magnetic usb connector not yet available. At least they have a release date (10/29) Apple just says October.

Oct 6, 2012 3:26 PM in response to sdhatts

I can see the frustration with the adapter not being readily available, but I have no sympathy for those who spent tons and tons of money on iPhone-ifying their homes and cars. You had to know that it would change someday, so why not use standard USB? That never really changes. Get an extra lightning cable if you need to, that's what I've done and I've noticed no difference.

I think honestly, everyone is looking for something to complain about. Everything's good, I'll just wait for the adapter, and then I'll have a billion and one cables instead of the two that are necessary for day to day life. I knew this would happen, as should most, and if you weren't able to get the adapter (or needed it so badly at launch), perhaps you should have waited.

Sorry guys. Good luck.

Oct 6, 2012 3:35 PM in response to Sebasu

I could not disagree more. Apple has the right to change the connector but should have the means available to allow the device to be usable with accessories.

How about the lack of availability for additional cables? If the one the phone came with is lost or broken you are waiting until "October" for a new one.

Oct 6, 2012 4:49 PM in response to Sebasu

@Sebasu, why troll a forum and provide useless thoughts designed to berate people with a legitimate complaint? The CEO of the company comes out advertising a new product "AND" an adapter to be used with your older devices and yet they don't have any available a month after being advertised with no ship date? That's just bad business.

Not to mention the fact that the devices I have are hard wired with a 30 pin connector making your suggestion of using a USB Lightning cable DOA. My iPhone is also my iPod and it's what I use to listen to an extensive music library in my boat, in my car, and in my truck. Right now I can't listen to any of it because of a crappy $29 adapter that was advertised a month ago.

So in your scenario, this should have been my train of thought 3 years ago when I was putting stereo equipment in my vehicles;

"Hmmm, I'll bet some day they are going to change the plug standard that has been adopted by thousands of aftermarket vendors without making a backwards compatible adapter so I should probably throw away my ipod and switch to some Korean knock off abandoning the quality products I pay extra $$ for" Yeah, I think everyone should have had the foresight to see this coming, uh huh, right!

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter ship date?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.