Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/etc/smb.conf does not seem to exist in 10.7.5. How do we get SBM shares to work with Native extended attributes? Or at least configure SMB to hide ._ files without enabling NEA?

I've moved all of our PC file shares over to an Xserve running 10.7.5 (too old to run 10.8). However I'm getting complaints about all of the ._ files. So I found this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3791 stating that by enabling Native Extended Attributes the SAN will remove all of the ._ files and combine them into the main file. Awesome. Exactly what I want. Or maybe not... I then found this article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3179 stating that "If native extended attributes have been implemented on an Xsan volume, Windows users connecting over SMB may receive a message stating that an item can't be copied from the share point because the item can't be found." And that the solution is to edit the /etc/smb.conf file to disable stream support. Well that's great except that /etc/smb.conf does not exist in 10.7.5.

Any advise?

Thanks,

Jason

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:51 AM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Jason Bracy

I think you're needlessly boxing yourself in. If Apple's SMB server can't disable streams, or there isn't documentation saying how to disable streams, or someone else hasn't figured out how to get it to disable streams, then Apple's SMB server does not meet your requirements. You can build SAMBA on a computer that does have network access, and have it produce a package installer in a DMG which you can then transport over to the server and have installed.

Oct 1, 2012 11:46 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

I'm completly willing to accept that Apple's SMB server may not be for us (as indicated by the fact that I have tried to build the MacPorts SAMBA3). However just because I'm the first person to ask the question doesn't mean that the question doesn't need to be asked or answered. The fact that there is a KB article that specifically addresses my issue for 10.6, indicates that Apple knows about the issue, and should provide a solution for later OS versions.

It is actually possible that the Apple SMB server in 10.7/10.8 is smart enough to dissable streams automatically when necessary, however I don't have a second SAN volume to test this on, so I am asking the question. I have also filed a bug report, so hopefully someone will be able to answer the question for me.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate the input, and if you have any links on how to build a package for SAMBA3 I'd appreciate it (I can't find anything except SMBup which uses MacPorts).

/etc/smb.conf does not seem to exist in 10.7.5. How do we get SBM shares to work with Native extended attributes? Or at least configure SMB to hide ._ files without enabling NEA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.