Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The only problem I have is why would my iOS device (iPhone 4s) stop being compatible with my older third-party router after a software upgrade?

I think it's a driver issue not a hardware issue, I can use wifi at work just not at home...

I have an iPhone 4s and it seems to connect to the wifi where I work without any problems. I cannot connect to my wifi at home even after turning off encryption, after looking around the discussion threads about what other people are experiencing I am convinced that it is a driver issue. How can my iphone just stop working after an update?

My girlfriend's ipad 3 has the same problem, I sure hope apple can fix this problem or this will be the last iPhone I ever buy.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:15 PM

10 replies

Sep 26, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Mixphonics

Mixphonics wrote:

I sure hope apple can fix this problem or this will be the last iPhone I ever buy.

Welcome to the forum, Mixphonics.

Had you read the Terms of Use, you'd know you're addressing fellow users like yourself. Making idle threats like I've copied above makes you look foolish. As users here, no one really cares what you do.

With regard to YOUR issue, there is no change in compatibility between iOS 5 and iOS 6 with respect to wireless internet. Have you rebooted your router? Have you contacted your router's vendor to see if you're running the most recent firmware?

In the future, to get help, please state your question clearly, succintly and without idle threats. In addition, include any troubleshooting steps you may have taken. You'll get help in no time.

Again, welcome to the forum, and best of luck getting your issue sorted!

GDG

Sep 26, 2012 1:16 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Hello Gdgmacguy,

You have a great way with words. (Other posters feel free to comment).

Since Your WELCOMING me to the forum I have to guess your some kind of moderator. If you are a moderater you should tone down your rhetoric about Terms of Use, I don't really care what you think. If your not a moderator why are you pointing out terms of use to me like I care anyway?

Also, it's not a threat it's a promise. Why would I want to buy another iPhone if they send out updates that break the hardware and deny having anything to do with the problem just like you are doing right now?

With regard to MY issue, yes I've rebooted my router only SMART PEOPLE (*sarcasm) wouldn't think to try that first. You obviously must take me for someone who has mid-level computer skills & yes there is a change in compatibility between iOS 5 and iOS 6 because like I've said in other posts my wifi immediately stopped working after the upgrade so did my girlfriend's ipad 3. And yes I've updated my router to the latest firmware.

This isn't my only post regarding this issue and I've had other people discuss and talk about similiar problems they are having in my other posts.

Thanks for posting and speaking your mind, next time if you don't having anything to contribute, stay out of my thread!

Mixphonics

Sep 26, 2012 1:44 PM in response to Mixphonics

gdgmacguy has great advice, "Have you rebooted your router? Have you contacted your router's vendor to see if you're running the most recent firmware? Did you try this?

Have you tried Reset of Nework Settings in the Settings App?

I have seen WiFi problems regarding iOS 6 all over the Web. These were problems with the WiFi, but how many try WiFi other than their home WiFi. Your home WiFi is a problem. The fix for some users is DFU Mode Restore of iPhone. If you would like to try a DFU Mode Restore.

Here are the steps. Open iTunes on computer. Connect iPhone to computer with USB Cable. Hold both home and power buttons for exactly 10 seconds, release the power button, keep holding the home button until iTunes recognizes iPhone in Recovery Mode. Usually about 20 seconds of holding home button. If the iPhone screen is black, blank this is DFU Mode. Click the Restore button of iTunes. DFU Mode is sometimes difficult to get. So keep trying the steps until you get it. DFU mode is iTunes saying iPhone in Recovery Mode except screen is black, blank.

Sep 26, 2012 1:55 PM in response to brad805

Hello Brad,

I've stated that I've rebooted my router , disabled encryption and updated the firmware none of which have fixed the problem.

Also, I've stated that my wifi works with my iPhone 4s when I'm at work, it doesn't work with my wifi at home so I know that it is a driver issue related to older routers. My girlfriend's ipad 3 stopped working on our home wifi after the update as well.

I can confirm that my wifi issue is with my home network not my work network. I've tried changing encryption types, disabling encryption all together etc.

You can only restore in DFU mode if you use iTunes to backup your iPhone which I don't since I back everything up to my iCloud.

brad805 wrote:

gdgmacguy has great advice, "Have you rebooted your router? Have you contacted your router's vendor to see if you're running the most recent firmware? Did you try this?

I have seen WiFi problems regarding iOS 6 all over the Web. These were problems with the WiFi, but how many try WiFi other than their home WiFi. Your home WiFi is a problem. The fix for some users is DFU Mode Restore of iPhone. If you would like to try a DFU Mode Restore.

Here are the steps. Open iTunes on computer. Connect iPhone to computer with USB Cable. Hold both home and power buttons for exactly 10 seconds, release the power button, keep holding the home button until iTunes recognizes iPhone in Recovery Mode. Usually about 20 seconds of holding home button. If the iPhone screen is black, blank this is DFU Mode. Click the Restore button of iTunes. DFU Mode is sometimes difficult to get. So keep trying the steps until you get it. DFU mode is iTunes saying iPhone in Recovery Mode except screen is black, blank.

Sep 26, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Mixphonics

Mixphonics wrote:

Hello Brad,

...Also, I've stated that my wifi works with my iPhone 4s when I'm at work, it doesn't work with my wifi at home so I know that it is a driver issue related to older routers....

There is no "driver" involved. It's much more likely that the problem is related to a poor implementation of a draft standard in your old router.

Wireless routers for residential use are dirt cheap. Buy a new one. Odds are it will support better security than the old one did and be faster anyway.

Sep 26, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Mixphonics

No. DFU is identical to Recovery except, DFU is more thorough. It is your choice. But at end you can Restore from Back Up perfectly with iTunes or use iCloud with DFU.

Then just Restore with iTunes on computer the usual way. The iTunes computer Restore will update your iPhone Wi-Fi correctly so you can troubleshoot from there.

Sep 26, 2012 2:31 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hello KiltedTim,

Kilted Tim Wrote:

There is no "driver" involved. It's much more likely that the problem is related to a poor implementation of a draft standard in your old router.

I don't want to get too off topic with the problem I am having but considering iOS 6 is a child of UNIX, there is a kernel and drivers associated with the hardware running the iPhone which makes the wifi, bluetooth, graphics etc. work.

I've spent hours fixing broken drivers that wouldn't on their own with a linux operating system so I am familiar that there are drivers within UNIX/Linux operating systems and when updates happen sometimes those drivers or kernels break.

I find that pretty darn bad that Apple doesn't support a router that is only a few years old.. Microsoft windows and linux have drivers that support computer hardware from the 80's and 90's such as printers yet Apple can't support a router less than 5 years old?

I think the root of the problem is bigger than that, I'm not the only person in my family experiencing wifi problems and no I'm not only talking about my girlfriend's iPad either. I refuse to go out and buy a new router when it works perfectly fine with my PS3, Apple TV, my gf's iPhone 4 and all my networked computers.

Thanks anyway,

Mixphonics

Sep 26, 2012 2:33 PM in response to Mixphonics

You stated that you updated your router to the latest firmware, but what is the date of that firmware? I ran into an issue with a router that I used about 18 months ago that was also giving me fits. The manufacturers website stated that the firmware that I had was the latest, but it still would not work. After I contacted them by phone, I was told that the new Phone software was not compatable and they were working on a fix. I ended up purchasing a new router and all worked well.

Sep 26, 2012 2:52 PM in response to ErnieD1

@ ErnieD1 Thanks, I'll look into it and see if the manufacturer of my router (Netgear) supports iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s. Did I mention my girlfriend's iPhone 4 works fine and mine worked before the update? Kind of rediculous since I know my device is capable of working with my router like it did for the last 9 months.

@KiltedTim - I know I could fix the problem with buying a new router, that's not the point. That's a rediculous answer to my problem go out and spend $MONEY on a new router? No thanks.

The only problem I have is why would my iOS device (iPhone 4s) stop being compatible with my older third-party router after a software upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.