Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open older format ppt files.

Hi, my mac mini is unable to open a ppt file saying "this file has an older format that isn't supported". How can I overcome this problem without having to change my ppt files' formats? Thanks for your help.

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:55 PM

On 10.8.2, Preview just opened a Powerpoint '97 .pps slideshow created in December 1999. If you right-click on your .ppt file and choose Open with ... Preview, what happens?

9 replies

Sep 27, 2012 1:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

a window pops up saying: "this file has an older format that isn't supported" and there is no choice of preview. Besides I am able to see the preview, but this is not what I need. I need the ppt file to be fully operative as we may all do.( fullscreen viewing, changes, additions, exclusions of slides and animations, etc.)

Sep 28, 2012 3:13 AM in response to necil

These days any .ppt file would be considered an old format as the current format is .pptx, my guess is that these files must be really old .ppt files predating Office 97 for example.

As such Apple's own software such as Keynote, Preview etc. are probably not supporting it. I also suspect that Office 2004, 2008, or 2011 for Mac will also probably not accept it. Maybe you can find an Office for Windows that will still accept it and then convert it to a more modern format that will work on a Mac. Another option to try would be GoogleDocs.

How to open older format ppt files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.