Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inserting b roll in iMovie iOS

Hello,

I am looking to produce a series of videos in iMovie iOS that cut back and forth from a narrator to various b-roll while maintaining the narrator's audio (and dropping most or all of the b-roll audio). I know the precision editor lets me do this type of thing, but I'm confused on if it can do it with the same narrator video/audio and multiple b-roll cut-aways. Suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

iPad

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:47 PM

9 replies

Sep 26, 2012 2:54 PM in response to Highland Lad

I suggest you edit this on a computer using better software.

IMovie iOS is a basic 'homemovie' editor and is not at all able to edit precisely.

If you spend hours of stressful slow editing, you may get a result with iMovie iOS.

But in the end you've really just wasted your time.

Anything can be done with time, but I think it would be a waste of time.

THere is some more precise editing softwar, but it costs more the iMovie.

Sep 26, 2012 2:56 PM in response to Highland Lad

At this time, iMovie 1.4 for iOS allows you to do "audio splits" also known as J-cut or L-cuts.

This feature is available only on iPads because Audio Waveforms are also only available on iPad.

In order to extend audio from clip 1 do the following:

- Create a New Project and turn Audio Waveforms ON (unless you already have them on and visible)

NOTE: if you don't know where to find the button for Audio Waveforms, tap the yellow question mark button, which is known as Coaching Tips. These tips will display the name of each button in the UI. You can easily dismiss them by tapping the question mark button again.

- Add two video clips to Timeline, one with clear audio, second without. Make sure they have enough "handles" or room.

NOTE: this means that when you go in your Video Bin and you click on a clip to select a portion of it to add it to Timeline, make sure that selection is in the middle of the clip, so that you have more video/audio to play with at the beginning and at the end of the clip selection.

- Open Precision Editor by tapping beneath the transition or by using the two finger gesture to expand Timeline

- In Precision Editor you will be able to see blue and yellow dots alligned with your clips

- In order to extend the audio of 1st clip (on the top layer in Precision Editor) do the following:

- Drag the upper blue dot to the right of your clip

This will result in audio of 1st clip continuing to playback over your 2nd clip. You just performed an L-cut.

You can also extend audio contained in 2nd clip (if any), by dragging bottom blue dot to the left of clip.

For more info regarding Audio Split go here:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/ipad/1.4/index.html?lang=en-us#kna7dd3f29

Good luck!

Oct 27, 2013 1:13 AM in response to Highland Lad

The October 2013 upgrade to iMovie (iOS7) now makes this possible. You can detach audio from a clip and then drag a new video over the top and insert it. You then just have to crop the original video after the insert so that it matches the original audio again. This is fairly easy if you zoom in. The end result is a video where the audio continues and a new (silent video) is overlaid. This is a huge improvement.

Inserting b roll in iMovie iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.