Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best New iPhone Purchase

Hi Folks

Im a Macbook pro user for over a year now and my Mac book ROCKS!!.. The OS X Mountain Lion upgrade this week has made it even more awesome!!. However, on the handset side, I have being a Blackberry fan for years and last June, I upgraded via Vodafone to the Blackberry 9900 and the accompanying OS7 software. Long story short, 3 months of auto restarts, no 3rd party apps (it triggers restart), faulty operating system (auto restarts when no apps are downloaded, when phone switches from 3G to 2G, windy day muffles speaker when on a call), 20 calls to customer care, phone in for repair 5 times, etc, etc.. Well you get the picture... Im done with Blackberry for sure!!..

Onto my preferred choice of replacement handset, Im tied into a contract with Vodafone which I hope is for the last time and have rested my eyes on the "unlocked" Iphone for a number of reasons;

1. Great call quality and signal strength (save issue with Iphone 4 which was resolved Im told as the intial batch in the US had faulty aerials in them).

2. Emails are downloaded in an efficent manner (not 2 hours later and missing half the email if Im lucky) and can be syched with my macbook via the email accounts (gmail/yahoo) and iCloud.

3. Calender can be Synched with the Iphone via iCloud

4. Apps in the apps store are numerous, cool and DONT crash the handset software

5. My Itunes library can be loaded onto my Iphone aswell as my IPOD classic

6. My Iphone can be fully backed up on calender/pics/messages/emails/settings/etc via iCloud

7. After my remaining contract is served with Vodafone, I am free to shop around (with my unlocked Iphone) for the best deal in carrier for data/calls/sms

I am ok with a battery charge that goes for a day or nearly a day with about an half hour of phone time and an hour of other use (txts/calender/emails/games). I will get charging docs, etc so I can charge in the car (already have an incar Iphone kit), and at home and off my laptop, etc. I see from the discussion battery time is an issue and wifi on the Iphone 5 is appalling but I remember that was said of the Iphone 4 upon release.

I would to get your opinion on what Iphone is best for me. You guys are the best experts in Iphone use and your opinions can help me in my incoming investment decision to buy the Iphone 4, 4S or go all out and spend over budget on the IPhone 5. Reading the threads on Iphone 5, it doesnt seem like a good idea for me given my needs as above. What do you think?

Thanks All...

Best Regards

John

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), MS Word for Mac 2011 - Ver. 14.2.3

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:18 PM

Iphone 5

8 replies

Sep 26, 2012 2:28 PM in response to John Mul

The iPhone 5 will definently be the best invesment in the long term, the iphone 5 is very fast,durable and extremly thin in comparison to other iphone models. Compared to the 4 and 4S the iPhone 5 specs blow previous iphones out of the water. The powerful A6 chip,1GB of RAM and outstanding camera will definently be enough for daily tasks and hardcore gameing/photography. I personally highly recommed the iPhone 5 it will avoid you from buying a new iPhone every year because the hardware can handle anything thrown at for at least a couple years

Good Luck!

Sep 26, 2012 2:33 PM in response to John Mul

Remember that people come here because they have problems and are seeking a solution. I have an iPhone 5, I have better battery life than I did with my iPhone 4, I have no trouble connecting to any WiFi hotspot that is available to me, my LTE is working fine, my speed is good, all my apps are working, Siri is working.

Since you have no investment in accessories like speaker systems, etc. I would suggest you go with the 5 and then buy accessories that work with the new Lightning connector as they appear.

Sep 26, 2012 3:08 PM in response to deggie

Hi Deggie,

More excellent points, thanks for this bud!.. It would appear that the Iphone 5 despite the high entry price is an investment for the future and given I have zero accessories for it, going "all out" and getting one sounds like a good point. Thinking about this, Im wondering if the Iphone 4 and 4s would be around for many years to come? Its food for thought given my determination to not getting caught in a long carrier contract again. Probably not given the disappearing 3g model of the Iphone from Apple store and retailers here anyway.

Your input is much appreciated.. I get to see what price the Iphones will rest at this Friday when the Iphone 5 is released in Ireland. I presume the others will move according to make room for big baby brother joining the Iphone family in Ireland.

Best Regards

John

Best New iPhone Purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.