Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure network for the new iOS 6 captive portal?

Hi, I upgraded my iPod today to iOS 6. We have a system in place on our network where from 8:45 PM to 3:15 PM, no access is allowed through port 80, however still allowing all other ports to go through. On iOS 5.1.1, this was no problem as this allows the iPod to access iCloud, and other services, while blocking all traffic on port 80. Our goal is to allow the iPod to remain connected to the network, even with this in place.

From what I have been reading, there is a page that the iPod tries to reach when it connects to the wifi network. On iOS 5.1.1, this wasn't a problem, as it did this and connected to apple on some other port other than port 80. In iOS 6, this capability was changed and now attempts to connect to apple over port 80, resulting the iPod to not be able to remain connected on the network.

My question is, how can I restore the functionality that was in iOS 5.1.1 with connecting over a port other than port 80 and allow this iPod to remain on the network, even when the captive portal is in place?

Please don't hesitate to ask for more information about our network and our setup.

iPod touch, iOS 6, Using Windows XP Pro with iPod.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:38 PM

There are no replies.

How to configure network for the new iOS 6 captive portal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.