Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing email on iCloud?

I received an important email yesterday afternoon and was looking at it using Mac Mail on my MacBook when I was called away. This morning the email was gone, vanished! It took an eternity and password reset to get into iCloud.com today and that particular email is just not anywhere... Inbox, Archive, Trash, Junk Mail, folders, nowhere to be found. All the others were still there. We have 4 devices that access our iCloud account and they are all set up to NOT delete from the server after viewing. Can anyone tell me what was going on this morning on iCloud and whether my email was lost during that lengthy hiccup??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:32 PM

Just to echo your statement here. I too have missing emails. I briefly checked my iPhone 4 (iOS5) on Sunday afternoon while out, and saw the notification of an email I was expecting from someone I had not received from before. I didn't open Mail to read it then but thought to check it later. That evening, I found no trace of it on the iPhone and then also not when logging into icloud. I checked junk and other mail folders.

Today I realise I am missing an email which I had read on Mail using my iMac. Somethings amiss...

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2012 3:32 PM in response to GregDorothyFromCO

Just to echo your statement here. I too have missing emails. I briefly checked my iPhone 4 (iOS5) on Sunday afternoon while out, and saw the notification of an email I was expecting from someone I had not received from before. I didn't open Mail to read it then but thought to check it later. That evening, I found no trace of it on the iPhone and then also not when logging into icloud. I checked junk and other mail folders.

Today I realise I am missing an email which I had read on Mail using my iMac. Somethings amiss...

Oct 3, 2012 12:21 AM in response to GregDorothyFromCO

I have the same problem of missing emails. I'm using my yahoo mail service in iCloud. Yesterday, I first got the notification of the email from a mailing group on the iPhone, then found it missing when I wanted to read it later. The most amazing part of the whole story is I can't find it either when I logged in my yahoo online mailbox with a PC.

Oct 15, 2012 6:45 AM in response to GregDorothyFromCO

The same thing is happening to me. I have iCloud e-mail set up on an iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac. IPad and MacBook Pro work fine, on iMac random messages disappear all the time. And I do mean random. I get all these e-mails over the weekend on my iPad and then when I get into work on Monday, only a handful of them are there on my IMac. Apple, please help!

Oct 15, 2012 8:33 AM in response to marlowemacuser

I have noticed on my iPhone my inbox seems to randomly rebuild. This seems to happen since updating to iOS 6. I will be reading a message then every disappears. Next I will see the subject lines of emails but not the latest. There is also no preview content. Finally my emails will come back. Very disconcerting. I can only say make you're running Time Machine and hopefully is something happens you won't lose the email if you got it more than an hour ago. But Apple really needs to make this the highest priority. Email is expected to be more reliable.

Oct 15, 2012 3:18 PM in response to Mark Miller8

Me too! I was reading an e-mail and it disappeared right before my eyes! Really, I can't stand iCloud. This is the third or fourth time I've lost e-mails. And to make matters worse, iCloud's search function is dismal at best. I am so very disappointed. I hated MobileMe and couldn't wait for iCloud. Now I think iCloud is worse than MobileMe. Apple should be ashamed. I'm looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

Dec 12, 2013 9:19 AM in response to GregDorothyFromCO

+1 more for missing icloud emails. Apple really needs to do more about this problem. Missing emails that do not kick back an error message of any kind are very serious. There are no options to search all mail or enter the Message-ID of an email that is known to be missing. It was difficult to event get AppleCare understand the problem, I have little faith in finding these lost emails.

Mar 21, 2014 6:40 PM in response to NilsBoen88

This thread is a bit old.. has anybody figured out how to prevent this from happening?

I constantly get emails disappearing from my computers.

I've set up an iCloud account in Outlook 2011 for Mac on both my iMac in the office and my Macbook air at home. I then created rules to make all my work email accounts (pop3) pass through iCloud so that all emails and folders are automatically synced on both computers.

I though the disappearing emails were due to this weird set up I have, but from the comments above it appears to be an iCloud problem..?

The only consolation I have is that if I remember what email has disappeared I can search for it in outlook and usually can find it. What's weird is that I can't find the email in any of my folders, it only comes up when I search for it.

Jan 18, 2016 5:03 PM in response to GregDorothyFromCO

This problem has started to happen with my mail in the last week or so. Email from three separate contacts in my address book have either never arrived in my me.com address or have vanished before my eyes. When this happens, the message is not in the deleted folder, inbox, or any other folder on any device. It's as if it never existed at all.

iCloud mail has been reliable until now, but has been really unstable. Anyone else seeing this recently?

missing email on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.