Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting projectors via VGA to MBA 2012 not working consistently?

I am a trainer working around uk and Europe. I keep finding displays that will not work with my MBA. What happened to plug and play?....

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:03 PM

16 replies

Sep 26, 2012 11:11 PM in response to ColTrombone

I have used macs for 10 years

Okay, so have I, and I keep having surprises and keep learning. So what are you trying to say? 😉

Just will not show up on projected screen despite me changing settings,detecting display,restarting etc

I sometimes find defect cables and connectors on site, I'm sure you spot those as well. Who to blame. Other than that, I've always got some signal onto the screen, even if not pretty colors, ideal contrast and brightness, or perfectly scaled. Or simply at a lower resolution and/or refresh rate than what I've been wishing for.

With OS X's UI regarding external displays basically not having changed since 10.4, we sure have no trouble with handling our machines, and while our Windows friends are still trying to remember where all to press and click, I'm up and running or having a coffee.

Interfaces have changed, but the number of adapters has grown accordingly, and projectors and displays have gotten more "receptive" as well. So, not much in the way here, either.

The gear that is a royal pain in-you-know-where to work with now, has been the same before... all the time...

What else - any more specific description, e.g. a typical showcase you could tell us of? Thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 7:44 AM in response to ColTrombone

Apple is aware of this issue was it was supposed to be resolved by the 10.8.2 update. It wasn't. It currently appears to be only certain recent MacBook Airs, and only when going from Thunderbolt to VGA, and they are discovering new projectors and displays that are affected. Personally, I think it's the set of kernel extensions they use for the thunderbolt port convert the analog signal neary as well the straight display port. This is something that will improve with system updates.

Sep 27, 2012 9:35 AM in response to ColTrombone

No, it's immensely frustrating, and you are right to feel that way.

I can't speak for Apple, but there are two useful ways to add your voice to the cacophony, and move things along. One, go to apple.com/feedback, and fill out the form with as much specific info as possible. Second, you can contact Applecare by phone, and come prepared with as much info as possible to get to the group that can actually do something about it.

Because Apple has already tried to address the issue, they are actively working on it. My experience has been that following a new OS release, Apple releases new updates every 3-4 weeks until the major issues are worked out.

That's my best guess at the moment.

Sep 28, 2012 12:04 AM in response to davidnave

Apple is aware of this issue was it was supposed to be resolved by the 10.8.2 update. It wasn't. It currently appears to be only certain recent MacBook Airs, and only when going from Thunderbolt to VGA, and they are discovering new projectors and displays that are affected.

Where is that info from, who's the source? It can be right, of course, but with such statements it's always recommended to name the source, no?

Connecting projectors via VGA to MBA 2012 not working consistently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.