Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Search showing deleted emails

After loaded IOS6 - now when I do a "Search Iphone" using spotlight search I see emails from my Gmail account that were COMPLETLY deleted over 3 weeks ago (about 10 of them). This occurs even AFTER COMPLETLY cleaning out ALL Gmail folders (which they were when I downloaded the update)

How can I delete from this permanently search? Where could they be "hiding" on the Iphone..... Archive is shut of (and always has been). again ALL MY gmail folders are COMPLETLY empty.

Tried deleting Gmail account from phone and did a power down and reboot AFTER deleting Gmail account from phone too! yes... cleared history & cookies in Safari too.

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 5:17 PM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2012 5:54 AM in response to TrapMan

Spotlight search returns email that I deleted eleven months ago ... this bug has been around and has been reported on for years and it's pathetic that Apple won't or can't fix it. Apart from being annoying it's a security risk to leave deleted emails behind on the device and it slows the searches down if you have had lots of email in the iPhone or iPad.

Dec 12, 2012 9:45 AM in response to -anders-

I also have this, from what I have been researching for a solution in vain this has been going on since 2009, adds insult to injury, that the onus is on us to do the research for Apple's seeming bug or whatever it is, it definitely shouldnt be that way without a clear solution. Not fair, Apple....you really need to treat your customers better. You are only as good as your last satisfactory response to serious and valid customer complaints.

Jan 20, 2013 11:30 AM in response to TrapMan

I've been having the same problem with deleted emails showing up in Spotlight on iOS 6.0.2 (iPhone 5) so I did some experiments. (I'm using an IMAP account, not POP, and all my folders are on the server.)

There are actually two different problems (three if you count people who don't check all their account folders so the message is just tucked away in a place they didn't think to look).

The first problem occurs when you compose a message but don't hit Send, then hit Cancel, hit Save Draft, go back to the draft, and send it. Then you go to the Sent folder and delete the message and go to the Trash and delete it there. Now it doesn't show up anywhere in any account folder. But, if you go to Spotlight and search for something in the message, it will appear and you can bring it up and send it again. Mail is obviously squirreling away the draft in a place where it can't be deleted. Nothing short of a backup, reset, and restore will get rid of it.

The second problem occurs when you delete a message from a folder and then go the Trash and delete it there. If you immediately go to Spotlight, you'll see a "ghost" message: it's in Spotlight but if you try to bring it up, you'll find it doesn't really exist and Mail either shows a blank message or shows the account folders. You can get rid of these "ghosts": press the Home button to see the home screen and then double-click the Home button to show the running apps, then press and hold on the Mail icon and click the '-' badge to quit Mail. Then if you go back to Spotlight and search again, they're gone.

So there are two bugs: one serious and one that can be fixed by quitting Mail. And these are caused by real files being kept by Mail so using iErase or Zero Free Space to clear free space (by writing a huge file) has no effect. And, until Apple fixes the serious bug, never, ever, save a draft. (And if you do, you'll have to back up, reset, and restore.)

Spotlight Search showing deleted emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.