Skip navigation

problems "transferring" files from time machine to new hard drive

1255 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 8:43 AM by wheresdavid RSS
wheresdavid Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 26, 2012 8:52 PM

I was experieincing the spinning beach ball of death so I replaced my hard drive with a new one.  I am running mountain lion (10.8.2) and the new Hard drive has two partions - one for "start up" which I was able to use migration assisant to move over my applications from my time machine.  The problem I am having is that I can't figure out how to get my user account data transferred to my the data partition (journal extended) on my new hard drive.

When I enter time machine I can't "see" my last back updates before I changed hard drives. 

I put my old hard drive in a case and it "isn't working" so I can't just copy data from my old hard drive.  It did work initially but now it doesn't mount and I can't see it in disk utility.

Any Ideas on how I can get my user data off my time machine back up?

I forgot to mention that when I go into my external hard drive containing my time machine via finder and click on the folder with my user data I'm not able to open the various files - they have a red "-" and it says, The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.  In disk utility I can't run repair disk permision on my time machine drive because it is grayed out.

Thanks - Dave

• John Galt Level 7 Level 7 (33,010 points)

It seems you are overthinking this. Why don't you simply boot OS X Recovery (OS X Internet Recovery to be precise, given an empty volume) and restore from your Time Machine backup?

From what I understand, you installed OS X on the new HD and are now trying to restore using "Enter Time Machine". It may not recognize your existing backups as valid since the new HD would want to use a new Time Machine backup, which does not exist.

If your computer does not have the EFI firmware permitting it to boot OS X Recovery, or if it was too old for that firmware upgrade, you should also be able to boot from the Time Machine backup volume. It was not always possible to boot a Time Machine volume; I don't know when Apple added that ability. Try it anyway.

I see. Don't do that. I do not believe using Migration Assistant is a valid method of accomplishing what you intend.

Furthermore, unless you are using the "Enter Time Machine" feature, you really shouldn't pick and choose what you want to copy from a Time Machine backup... "no user serviceable parts inside". You can certainly find and individual files and folders in the Finder, but you will run into the permissions problems you describle. I would not attempt to circumvent those protections.

As I understand Time Machine, you must either restore a volume from a Time Machine backup, thereby erasing the volume first, or restore individual files and folders by using "Enter Time Machine" when the backup has already been properly designated for the source.

Since your replacement hard disk - the source, now - is technically new, the latter is not an option. It's as if you were trying to restore to a different computer. This can't be done.

You may do that only by restoring the entire TM backup, or by choosing files / folders you want to restore in Time Machine's interface. Moving files as you are accustomed to in the Finder may result in something I cannot predict.

This does not apply to files you manually copy to or from a Time Machine's volume by using the Finder, exclusive of Time Machine's normal backup folders. You can do that.

For graduate level research into Time Machine's inner workings, you need to avail yourself of Apple Support Communities contributor Pondini's Time Machine FAQ.

I know enough to be able to use Time Machine, but not enough to describe why you're supposed to use it that way. I'm sure he can.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.