Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

appletv remote shortcut for sleep function

I just updated my apple tv. Now when I hold down my select button for 5 seconds (metalic remote) it won't sleep but just beeps at me. How do I restore the 5 sec hold for sleep function?

Apple TV, metallic remote

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 11:35 AM

LarryL states the sleep function has moved to the Play/Pause button.

Installed 5.1 update issues

Does that work for you?

ivan

9 replies

Oct 9, 2013 11:44 AM in response to Jonavision

is this something to really worry about? ...why even "sleep" it at all... an idle Apple TV uses 0.7W, even when on and working it use just 1.07W... I'd be very suprised that "sleeping" an AppleTV does anything more than just turn the LED on the front off to make people who don't know how insignifcant amout of power an Apple TV uses get a warm and fuzzy feeling..

as one of the respondants to the article below says... you'd literally save more money, just by thinking about what you want before opening the fridge a few times a year..

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/15/tweaked-apple-tv-offers-significant-but-near ly-invisible-power-savings-with-more-efficient-chip-designs/

Oct 9, 2013 12:09 PM in response to tmartine

It's good to know that the power consumption is so low that leaving it always on is an option.

However, power consumption is not the only consideration and may not even be the primary one.

For instance, I want it to sleep, because I want the status LED to reflect whether I'm using the device or not; my activity-based universal remote control takes care of sleeping and waking the Apple TV along with controlling other devices involved.

Jul 14, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Jonavision

My Apple TV 3 just started doing this as well. I found the answer in the coding of my Harmony 650 commands.

When changing button commands I noticed the pre-set Harmony command for Apple TV "POWER OFF" which is really sleep mode, says "MENU" for 2 sec., then a 500ms delay, then "PLAY" for 3 sec.... Tried this on my metal ATV remote and sure enough, it went to sleep!!

Hope this helps

appletv remote shortcut for sleep function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.