Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a 1333mhz 2gb RAM in a 1066mhz slot?

Hi Forum,

I've got a 21.5inch Late 2009 with 4gb installed (2x2gb) of 1066mhz RAM. I've had a look at this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3912 and it indicates that it will only work with a 1066mhz, however I've also read elsewhere that faster RAM will just run at the lower speed.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? Is it worthwhile adding 2x2gb (1333Mhz ram) to my set-up? (I've got a friend who has surplus and would be getting the extra RAM for free). Is there any risk of damaging my iMac from adding the non-specified RAM?

Cheers,

Steve

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:09 PM

I've heard a couple of different opinions; personally, I prefer to stay with the exact specs supported by Apple. Besides, it would seem to me that it would not make that much difference - on the other hand, going from 4 GB to 8, 12, or 16 would make far more sense in my humble opinion.

3 replies

Can I use a 1333mhz 2gb RAM in a 1066mhz slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.