Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone else noticed that you can't download a single song via ITunes Match on the iPod app?

The ability to download a single song has been removed. Now it only downloads if you're playing it. So if I want to download a few different songs to play I have to go back into the app at the end of each song and select a new one to play. I can't create a playlist by downloading all the songs I want to listen to. Basically it has become a one song at a time service. Aka worthless. This needs to be fixed. If I can't get the songs I want onto the phone then why would I do anything but sync with my library since I can do that all at once. This may be the most unexplainable change I've seen on any apple update.

iOS 6, F

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:32 PM

13 replies

Sep 27, 2012 12:44 PM in response to eazyrooster

Here's one way to do what you want:

1. Go into the Music app and tap "playlists"

2. At the top of the list, tap "Add playlist..."

3. Type a name for your playlist

4. Tap the "+" next to any song you want to listen to (as many songs as you want).

5. Tap "done"

Now just tap the first song in the playlist, or tap shuffle. They'll all play. Or tap the cloud icon at the bottom of the playlist, and they'll all download so you can play them later when you don't have network access.

There's no need to go back and select a new song after playing each one. If you decide to change what songs are there, you can either start all over or just use the buttons at the top of the playlist to edit the current playlist.

You can also make the playlists on your computer in iTunes, and they'll just show up in the Music app automatically, so you just have to tap the cloud icon at the bottom or start listening (there are a few problems with iTunes "smart" playlists so you may want to stick with the regular kind of playlist).

Sep 27, 2012 4:04 PM in response to Joseph Delaney

I understand the playlist method. Thanks for mentioning it. Unfortunately, I wasn't really looking to have to create a bunch of playlists. But the big issue with that is that it still doesn't solve the deleting problem. There's no way to get a song off the phone/iPad now. If you delete it from the playlist it doesn't get deleted from the device. So my choice to buy a 32gb iPhone because I could add/delete music and not need more storage is now a bad choice. At the very least they need to bring back the ability to delete songs. Otherwise the only way to get a song off your device is to disable iTunes Match and remove it via a sync. Then turn match back on. But, if I have to sync with iTunes why would I need Match at all?

Sep 27, 2012 11:33 PM in response to eazyrooster

I don't believe I am missing the point. You said "Otherwise the only way to get a song off your device is to disable iTunes Match and remove it via a sync" which I pointed out is not correct.

Like you I do not like the changed functionality. I agree that the "nuclear option" is not a better way, but it isn't necessary to disable iTM to remove downloaded music.

Sep 28, 2012 7:20 AM in response to eazyrooster

To delete individual songs, download your songs via the playlist method or by quickly stopping the tracks you don't want to download when downloading an entire album, go to Settings/Music, turn off 'iTunes Match', go into the Music app, go to 'Songs', and delete them manually from there. It will list all your downloaded songs. If you just turn off 'Show All Music,' it will list your downloaded AND cached songs.

Nov 18, 2012 7:43 PM in response to dislover

Thanks. But that is actually just a standard iTunes function. It only works for music you purchase from Apple. ITunes Match is a separate service that allows you to download music you sync with the cloud. I get about 10% (on the high end) of my music from iTunes, so downloading only purchased songs limits it greatly.

Since starting this thread O sent an email to Tim Cook and got a reply about the issue. It was basically a "too bad, deal with it" kind of response as they basically just said yeah that doesnt work, But look at all the less user friendly things you can dominstead. The functionality of iTunes Match was crippled by this change. You can't delete an individual song anymore if you are on iTunes Match. Not sure if that also applies to non-match accounts as my service doesn't expire until the end of the month. The "solutions" I received in the email were that you have to make playlist after playlist if you want to download individual songs without listening to them as you download. If you run out of room on your device the only option is to delete everything and start downloading again. All of that was possible previously, so with the update they just eliminated a different, simpler way of doing things.

Jan 12, 2013 9:50 PM in response to eazyrooster

I have an audiobook that is over 100 tracks long and a few GBs in size. I simply cannot believe that there is no way that I can download a single track from that without having to make a playlist for the whole thing. I simply cannot stream it because my cell provider's 3G speeds just aren't fast enough to allow any tracks to be played without skips and my docks won't recognize a streaming track being played as legit so I can't listen through my car unless the track is downloaded. Plus I don't want to eat up many GBs on my phone when I only need a couple of tracks per day.

I don't know why Apple decided to take away the individual track download feature that iOS5 had. It was perfect for me. This new system in iOS 6+ just doesn't work and makes me want to quit using iTunes Match altogether (since I can't just manually drag the tracks I want to listen to to my phone before I leave the house). Maybe it was because Apple didn't like seeing all of the little iCloud buttons next to each track? Perhaps just give us a setting to turn it back on if we want to. Apple has ruined iTunes Match for me. I really hope they bring this feature back in the next iOS update.

Jan 12, 2013 11:24 PM in response to ZeroHourSoftware

You should reclassify the audiobook in iTunes as an audiobook, and not music, so you can sync it via USB to your iOS devices.

1. Turn off iTunes Match in iTunes.

2. Highlight all the tracks of the audiobook.

3. Get Info > Advanced, change Media Kind to Audiobook. Click OK.

4. Re-enable iTunes Match in iTunes. Wait for the process to complete.

5. Connect the iOS device via USB; go to the device in iTunes and click Audiobooks tab.

6. Select the audiobooks you wish to sync, then click Sync in the lower right.

Has anyone else noticed that you can't download a single song via ITunes Match on the iPod app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.