Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jam Packs gets stuck @ the very end of 'running scripts' part of the installation of 'World Music'

any insight?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:49 PM

15 replies

Sep 26, 2012 11:13 PM in response to wakaflaka

How are you installing? And on what system?

If you now have a Lion System or Mt. Lion, the JamPack installers from the DVDs are no longer supported; they contain software that is written for PowerPCs, and the newer MacOS versions no longer contain the Roseta environment that is necessary to run PoerPC code on an Intel.

o be able to help you, we will need to know more - are you migrating from another mac, have you made aclean install, do you have a backup of an older system?

Sep 27, 2012 1:37 AM in response to léonie

Added:

Even if the installers are incompatible with the newer MacOS versions, the Instruments and loops however still work with Lion or Mountain Lion.

If you have a TimeMachine backup of your system from the time before the migration, you could try to restore the "Loops" library from your TimeMachine backup or from another Mac, you will need to reinstall all missing instruments from

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library

and

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack xxxxxxx

and then rebuild the loop index: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

An other approach would be to rip the installation disks: If you open the package (ctrlclick-> Show Package contents) you will see installers for the loop libraries and folders with loops and instruments.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 19, 2012 5:50 PM in response to wakaflaka

Here I found this in a different thread and it worked for me on mountain lion. I hope this helps someone. (seems you should only use the TIGER specific packs):

To make a fresh install of Garageband Jam Pack : World Music, you need to separatelyinstall the instrument package and the loop package. Here is how to do it:

• Insert the CD / Open up the mounted disk
  • Right Click on the package named “Install Jam Pack World Music” > Choose Show Package Content
  • Open up the “Content” folder
  • Open up the “Installers” folder
  • Inside the folder you’ll find couple of packages or installations.
  • Install WorldMusic_Instruments_Tiger.pkg
  • Install WorldMusic_Loops_Tiger.pkg

During the installation, you will still run into the PlistBuddy error, however it will not give you the infinite loops. You’ll get couple of error messages, just ignore and close all of them. Courtesy: http://www.nadzrul.com/apple/install-jam-pack-on-mac-os-x-lion

May 11, 2014 4:18 PM in response to wakaflaka

I'm actually having this same problem right now with the world music expansion pack...How do I quit the installer? I tried command option escape to force quit it (which worked) but now, I am trying to do the install of the instruments/loops separately as described above but it's still trying to finish the first install...

I also tried restarting or shuting down after force quiting the installer but it's giving me the same "warning shutting down may cause harm to your computer" error and I can't stop the installer

Update:

I contiuned searching around and found this thread that helped me solve my troubles

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3268372?answerId=16213638022#16213638022

May 11, 2014 10:36 PM in response to Djembe Kyle

anyone know if I corrupted my system

That will depend, on what was running, when you did "sudo killall -9".

I wrote a short summary on the different kill signals here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3881

"Killall" is terminating processes by sending them signals, and the signal "-9" is the "-SIGKILL" signal, the ultimate killer. All other kill signals can be blocked or ignored and give the process time to close open files before it terminates. But "-SIGKILL" will stop any process immediately, without waiting for the process to save documents, complete database transactions, etc. That is the reason for possible data loss, because the system can be left in an inconsistent state.

May 12, 2014 5:53 AM in response to léonie

Hey léonie thanks for the reply and insight, the installer was the only thing running and after the "-9" command, it stopped the process and I was able to install the instruments and loops via the "tiger" content. I opened garageband after and after reindexing the loops, they were there as were the instruments, so I believe I am in the clear...

The reason for my concern was that the command "killall" sounded pretty harsh haha and I was just worried that since it was installing files in the garageband folder that it would corrupt garageband. But now that I understand the command is just a "stop" process I feel better... I noticed in your other thread for aperture that you suggested a repair command, but since nothing was actively open, I'm assuming no further action is necessary?

May 12, 2014 6:04 AM in response to Djembe Kyle

I noticed in your other thread for aperture that you suggested a repair command, but since nothing was actively open, I'm assuming no further action is necessary?

If nothing else was open, that seems to be safe.

If the installer has been hanging while installing the loops, I'd try to reindex the loops. GarageBand 10 has a built-in command to reindex the loops. Use the dropdown menu at the top of the Loop Browser: Loops > Reindex Loops

Mar 10, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Alexander Reeser

Works! THANK YOU! ... because hitting the Power Button several times and not finding the running process in the background is no good. I don't know

what this "strange installer" does and the process in the background but it really heats up the CPU!!!

THANK you!

2. Right-click (control click) on the file, and select Show Package Contents.

3. Open up the Contents folder.

4. Open up the Installers folder.

5. Find WorldMusic_Instruments_Tiger.pkg, and run the installation. You will get a few PListBuddy errors, but these can be closed, and the installation will finish.

6. Find WorldMusic_Loops_Tiger.pkg, and do the same as step 5

Mar 10, 2015 8:53 AM in response to léonie

@léonie:

copying these folders manually from my backup worked!!!

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops Index/

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Package Registry.plist

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/

Jam Packs gets stuck @ the very end of 'running scripts' part of the installation of 'World Music'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.