Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover admin rights ?

Hi,

It's a long story but my current issue is this one:

-> Mountain lion running on my Macpro but no more admin rights !

-> the 2 users account on that computer have no more admin rights (probably due to the fact I had to reinstall Mountain Lion on top of existing ones due to a crap bug in 10.8.2 with my RAID card making system unbootable !).

-> due to reinstall of Mountain Lion on top of existing it removed from login screen the button Others so no way to login as root

How can I restore admin rights to these 2 accounts ? as all infos I found to do that in single user mode are no more valid with Mountain Lion 😟

Thanks for help,

Vincèn

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 20G RAM, 8 x 1TO HD (4 internal)

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:27 AM

Shizzam shizzam have I got a solition for you.

First shut down the mac. Once its off hold down the command and R keys.

Press the power button like you normally do and continue to hold command R for a moment

this will put it into recovery mode and give you a list of languages, hit the right arrow at the botttom

on the next screen ignore the OSX utilities and look at the top bar of the screen

click on "Utilities" on the top bar, not "OSX Utilities"

then click on terminal

this opens a black box, you are now using UNIX, be sure to brag to your friends at the office watercooler

type: resetpassword with no space between the 2 words then press return

this opens the password reset utility. Click on the "MacintoshHD" at the top, or whatever you may have renamed it. On the next line click on the account name and change it to "Administrator ROOT"

Root = GOD btw

enter a password twice and hit save

for the love of fishsticks do not hit "reset" at the very botton, it won't fix anything for you

you will get a message that it was succesfully reset, hit ok

next hit the apple at the top left corner of the screen and select restart

now login to the mac, note that Root will not be listed

once logged into one of the managed, non admin, accounts go to system preferances - users and groups

click on the lock icon at the borrom left of the window and a password box will open

use: root in all lower case with the password you just set.

BAM! you can now change your restricted accounts back to Administrative.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2012 2:27 AM in response to Vincèn

Shizzam shizzam have I got a solition for you.

First shut down the mac. Once its off hold down the command and R keys.

Press the power button like you normally do and continue to hold command R for a moment

this will put it into recovery mode and give you a list of languages, hit the right arrow at the botttom

on the next screen ignore the OSX utilities and look at the top bar of the screen

click on "Utilities" on the top bar, not "OSX Utilities"

then click on terminal

this opens a black box, you are now using UNIX, be sure to brag to your friends at the office watercooler

type: resetpassword with no space between the 2 words then press return

this opens the password reset utility. Click on the "MacintoshHD" at the top, or whatever you may have renamed it. On the next line click on the account name and change it to "Administrator ROOT"

Root = GOD btw

enter a password twice and hit save

for the love of fishsticks do not hit "reset" at the very botton, it won't fix anything for you

you will get a message that it was succesfully reset, hit ok

next hit the apple at the top left corner of the screen and select restart

now login to the mac, note that Root will not be listed

once logged into one of the managed, non admin, accounts go to system preferances - users and groups

click on the lock icon at the borrom left of the window and a password box will open

use: root in all lower case with the password you just set.

BAM! you can now change your restricted accounts back to Administrative.

Oct 21, 2012 8:16 AM in response to Vincèn

I had huge trouble from corruption in Lion, 12 serious glitches lasting for 9 months. The Apple Centre thought that there was corruption in my User Account (I had installed Lion, and re-installed it, by not using an erase and install method). I erased and installed M. Lion and have had mimimal trouble since. I prefer the erase and install method despite it being more trouble in re-setting things.

Recover admin rights ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.