Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks dictionary not working

Hi, am not sure why the built in dictionary in iBooks 2.2 is not working after installing iOS6 recently. Would appreciate any tips from users out there. Thank you.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 1:51 AM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2012 4:56 PM in response to choylean

I found a workaround. Turn off the speaking function in iBooks. General>Settings>Accesability>,Speak Selection.

Turn off the feature and everything works fine. This is only helpful if you don't actively use the Speak function. This is a usable work around until they come out with an update. Of course you may need to completely close out of ibooks and possibly restart your iPad

Oct 24, 2012 7:52 AM in response to corea50

Hmm. Thanks for the tip - although won't work for me, since mine was already switched to off. I switched it on, then off again, and have restarted my iPad. That didn't work - in fact, it switched it back on once it was restarted, and when I highlighted a word, the only option I got was Speak.

So I turned speech off again, force-quit iBooks, and it's still back to where I was - the dictionary not working.

UGH.

All this, and even after yesterday's app update from Apple, it still doesn't work.

iBooks dictionary not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.