Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformatting an external hard drive formatted to Windows

I have a 1TB external hard drive, formatted to Windows, which holds a number of files (around 400GB). I can transfer the files into my MacBook Pro but can't copy any files from the Mac to the hard drive.

1. If I want to just wipe it and reformat it all for use with my MacBook Pro, what do I need to do?

2. Is it possible to "partition" the drive so that the 400GB files remain formatted in Windows, but reformat the other 600GB for use on my MacBook Pro?

Many thanks

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:25 AM

See Pondinis excellent information here > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU.html

In particular # 1 and # 3

5 replies

Sep 27, 2012 2:25 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

1. If you want to format for Mac only, use Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities folder) to format the drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition.
  2. Not that I know of. It's likely that the drive is formatted as NTFS - if that's the case then you can use it with both Windows and Mac machines using Paragon NTFS for Mac: a little $20 app that will allow you to both read and write files to the volume using your Mac.

Hope this helps,

Clinton

Oct 1, 2012 12:32 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

.DS_Store is an invisible file - a small file that store information about a Finder window, comments, etc. (they're in each folder, on the Desktop, all over).

I have no idea why the Finder is trying to copy an invisible file. Maybe that's what the Windows formatted drive is choking on. I only know of a temporary fix (others, smater than myself, may know of others) and that's to show invisible files and choosing not to select .DS_Store. If you want to show all invisible files, open Terminal in Applications>Utilities and copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

and then restart. You'll be able to eliminate copying .DS_Store files because you can see them.

In order to make those invisible files invisable again, copy and paste into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Hope this helps...

Clinton

Reformatting an external hard drive formatted to Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.