Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to rip CD's with external drive?

Hi! I just ordered an external CD/DVD burner/player from Samsung because I've been having problems with iMacs scratching my discs. The player is compatable with iMac but I wonder, do I need a certain software in order to rip and burn CD's on my iMac, or can I still use iTunes for that? 🙂

Also, when playing video games, like "The Sims 3", will the iMac recognize the game discs even if they are not in the iMac super drive, but in the external drive? This is the drive I ordered: http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Products/Spec/spec.asp?functionvalue=view&parent_i dx=4414&level_idx=4503

Thanks! 🙂

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:00 AM

When you insert an audio CD it should mount on the Desktop. (If it doesn't, the drive isn't working properly, unless it required a driver - if it does installing the driver is all you need to do.) You can just drag the 'Track1', 'Track 2' files into iTunes. No additional software is needed. If you have iTunes' prefs set to import a CD automatically it ought to do this.

I can't answer for video games. They ought to recognize the disk wherever it originates from, but some of them may be touchy. You can only try.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2012 3:00 AM in response to BimboBoy

When you insert an audio CD it should mount on the Desktop. (If it doesn't, the drive isn't working properly, unless it required a driver - if it does installing the driver is all you need to do.) You can just drag the 'Track1', 'Track 2' files into iTunes. No additional software is needed. If you have iTunes' prefs set to import a CD automatically it ought to do this.

I can't answer for video games. They ought to recognize the disk wherever it originates from, but some of them may be touchy. You can only try.

How to rip CD's with external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.