Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make my imac faster?

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 15-inch early 2011 ( Ordered with 8GB Ram ) and a iMac 27-inch mid 2011,

My MacBook is a lot faster than my iMac , It runs app less than 1 sec , but in my iMac it might take about 2 sec,

1.Should i insrease my iMac Memory ? i was thinking about upgrading it to 16GB.

2.What if i replace my HDD with a SSD HDD ? Is this matter to make my iMac faster ?

Thanks,

Jaber

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 5:55 AM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2012 6:20 AM in response to xJaber

You can tell if you need more RAM by reading and using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used . You don't indicated the specifications of either machine or how they are used so it's impossible to speculate if or why the MBP is faster than the iMac.

When posting please try an paint a complete picture, remember we are not there to help you so you have to describe.

Sep 27, 2012 3:23 PM in response to xJaber

The links don't show the specs for YOUR machines you need to manually write that down. A SSD will improve startup and shutdown speeds of the computer and also for opening and closing apps and files. However unless you are constantly turning on and off the mâchine and opening and closing apps and files a SSD will not help. You could have bought your iMac with an SSD but you chose not to. While its technically possible to install one there are many reasons not to including technical difficulty and a very high chance of invalidating the warranty. My advice, upgrade RAM with high quality RAM from vendors such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial.

How to make my imac faster?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.