Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage iPhone with multiple computers.

The summary of this article clearly states the iPhone having the ability to be managed by multiple computers without losing the library on the iPhone. "You can manage your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers as long as you have set the device to "Manually manage music." When I attempt this on any computer other than the one I have the iPhone synced with, it want's to erase my phone, I have also tried setting this on my primary computer then attempted to add music from another computer with no success. Also many others in the community state that the iPhone in fact cannot by managed by more than one computer. Can someone clarify the article summary and why it says otherwise?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:46 AM

Read the last paragraph of that support document:

"iPod shuffle and iPhone are intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle and iPhone like you can with other devices."

So, the answer to your question is: You can't.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Skej

Read the last paragraph of that support document:

"iPod shuffle and iPhone are intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle and iPhone like you can with other devices."

So, the answer to your question is: You can't.

Sep 27, 2012 6:51 AM in response to wjosten

So for clarification the top part of the article incorrectly states that this ablility is available on the iPhone?

Top of the article;

You can manage your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers as long as you have set the device to "Manually manage music."

Bottom of the article:

iPod shuffle and iPhone are intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle and iPhone like you can with other devices.

Sep 27, 2012 8:37 AM in response to Skej

The article is poorly worded & such has been submitted to apple for correction, it leads many to believe they can do so with iTunes content...you can't.

You can, however, sync contacts/calendars with more than one computer...hence why the iPhone is probably listed at the top of the article. Just not iTunes content.

Manage iPhone with multiple computers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.