Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV stuck on What's New or Verification Required screen after v5.1 update

After updating my 2 Apple TV 3 to v5.1, my Apple TVs no longer respond to remote commands though I do get a blink response from the boxes when selecting. The atvs periodically blink, the screens go black and return me to the screen that was up when it went black. In one case, it's the What's New screen. In the other, the Verification Required screen. I only got to the Verification screen by a lucky remote recognition after unplugging the atv and plugging it back in.

I have not tried restoring from iTunes. Cannot locate any of my microUSB cables. Any suggestions or solutions?

Apple TV

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:41 PM

I have this problem too. It actually seems like the "What's New" screen is in front of the regular menu/navigation.

My original remote broke, and I've been using the Remote app. If I swipe left and right, i can hear the clicks. If I press to select, it sounds like I might be choosing an item from the menu... which I can't see because the "What's New" screen is in front and won't go away!

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2012 11:41 PM in response to khrush

I have this problem too. It actually seems like the "What's New" screen is in front of the regular menu/navigation.

My original remote broke, and I've been using the Remote app. If I swipe left and right, i can hear the clicks. If I press to select, it sounds like I might be choosing an item from the menu... which I can't see because the "What's New" screen is in front and won't go away!

Oct 1, 2012 8:39 PM in response to khrush

Very frustrating and even more confusing!!! Every time I unplu my apple TV I get the same screan and the same problem!! Is apple goofing to fix this? I hate that I have to wait sometimes up to twenty minutes each time I want to use my apple TV!!! I hate when they do updates and then they cause all sorts of issues that take forever to fix!!!

Oct 5, 2012 2:48 PM in response to khrush

I am having the exact problem, seems to be a bug with Apple's new software update. Can't believe something so minor could be overlooked.

The only solution I have found is it wait it out. It can be anywhere from 5-20 minutes. So turn your Apple TV on and go get some coffee, cook or never turn it off. No more Steve = no more control.

Apple TV stuck on What's New or Verification Required screen after v5.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.