Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 5.1.1 - Mail.app not retrieving POP account mail reliably

Hi, I have a 3GS with 5.1.1. I've never had it reliably pull new mail from my POP account with Comcast. It's gotten worse, and now it won't pull any new messages at all, and it has a big month-long gap in messages (also about 50% of other messages are missing) compared to what I know is on the server according to Comcast's web mail interface.

I deleted the whole account in Mail.app and re-entered the info, but it did the exact same thing. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It would be nice if I didn't have to use Safari all the time or pay for another app that actually works! I won't upgrade to iOS 6 yet, and I can't really do a restore (it was freshly restored when I bought it, and it was already having problems, anyway.)

Oh, btw, I can't seem to send mail anymore with my me.com address, either.

Thanks,

Kristen

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 4:43 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2012 9:26 AM in response to mfskarphedin

Hi,

I had this problem for a while with a Comcast email account. No matter how often it was deleted and re-added (on both iOS 5 & 6 devices) it would only pull old emails with seemingly random gaps in them.

I seem to have found the solution. You need to go to Comcast.net on a computer and log in. Under email accounts you will see username@comcast.net and more than likely another account username%40comcast%30net with 0 emails listed beside it. You need to erase the second email account... Which I believe stems from a bug between iOS and the Comcast email servers.

Once this is done, delete and re-add the account on the iOS devices. It should reliably pull all new emails.

Let me know if you try this.

iOS 5.1.1 - Mail.app not retrieving POP account mail reliably

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.