Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot connect HDV camcorders

Hi. I'm having trouble connecting my Sony HDV camcorder. I get the "Unable to intialize HDV deck. Please make sure a deck is connected and try again" message. Until recently, I have had no problems connecting to my HDV camera, and I still can connect to a standard definition camcorder (Sony TRV-25).

I am using the HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60 option under Easy Setup, which, again, has worked just fine in the past.

I just downloaded the Preference Manager application to clear out all preferences, and I'm still getting the same result.

I have switched out FireWire cables (four-pin to eight-pin). That did not improve the situation. And I get the same result with two different HDV camcorders (a Sony HVR-A1U and a Sony HDR-HC7).

When I connect the FireWire four-pin connector to the camera, the HDV in/out iLink indicator comes on for about a second and then goes away. In the past, it would stay on for the entire time while it was connected.

This is with Final Cut Express 4, on an iMac, on Mac OS 10.6.8.

I would appreciate any insight that you may have.

Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Final Cut Express 4

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:15 PM

10 replies

Sep 27, 2012 8:03 PM in response to John Aden

Double check your camera is not downconverting HDV to DV via the camera menu.

Once you confirm the camera is outputting HDV confirm the FCE Easy Setup is the appropriate one to match the camera and save.

When the Project opens right click the Sequence icon in the Browser and select Item Properties, confirm HDV is set.

Should work.

Al

Sep 27, 2012 8:37 PM in response to Alchroma

Sorry, I should have mentioned in the first post that I have indeed checked to make sure the camera is not downconverting to DV.

I did follow your suggestions, and still having no luck. The new sequences created are definitely the right format, in HDV.

For what it's worth, the camera is not showing up in iMovie '09 either.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2012 11:26 PM in response to John Aden

Sounding like a cable or socket drama.

Firewire ports can die as well.

Can you test with other equipment to confirm things are working as the designer intended.

Trashing the FCE Preferences. reparing permissions and a re-boot never hurt and sometimes fixes these little gremlins.

Can you post a screen shot of your Sequence and clip properties?

Usually this is a setup quirk rather than hardware.

Al

Sep 28, 2012 6:25 AM in response to John Aden

Did this work before and is this situation a change in system behavior?

Do you have any other firewire devices connected to your Mac? If so, disconnect them and only connect your camcorder to your Mac.

When you connect your camcorder, turn it on, then check System Profiler > Hardware > Firewire to see if your camcorder is listed there. Let us know.

Do you have another Mac that you could use to check the camcorders against? This would help diagnose whether or not the problem is in your camcorder(s) and/or the cables, or whether it's in your Mac.

Sep 28, 2012 7:26 AM in response to MartinR

Hi, Al and Martin. I truly appreciate your time and effort on this!

Below, I have include some screeshots below - the Easy Setup menu, the properties of a typical sequence, the "Unable to initialize" message, and the FireWire indicators under System Settings -- Network (which indicates no device is connected.) and About This Mac.

These are the messages that I get with the HDV camera on and in the Play/Edit mode, no downconverting selected, and physically connected to the computer with a FireWire cable. I have tried two FireWire cables and two different HDV camcorders with the same result.I am able to connect an external drive via the FireWire with success, as well as a standard definition camcorder (the TRV-25, screenshot of that also below).

Since I am able to connect other devices, I would be inclined to think it is some settings with either the camcorders or FCE. But I have checked and double-checked these, as well as rebooting and trashing the FCE preferences. Is there anything else that I may be missing?

I'm getting ready to go over to a friend's house to try his iMac to see what results I get there. I will let you know.

Thanks again!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 28, 2012 3:33 PM in response to John Aden

Since I am able to connect other devices, I would be inclined to think it is some settings with either the camcorders or FCE.

I tend to agree with focus on the camera settings.

I used to have the same camera in the PAL version and can verify it does work with FCE.

I have an HDV deck that I'll setup and relay you exact settings later in the day.

I'm sure we are only a button push away, which button? 🙂

Al

cannot connect HDV camcorders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.