Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging Is Not Supported With This Accessory...Yeah...Right...Whatever...Liars!

I have been up, down and all over and keep seeing the same replies although I don't believe it's dust or moisture in the connector or that the USB is going bad. I have had my ipad 1 for two years. No issues. I purchased an iPhone 4 mid-summer this year. All of a sudden within a week or so of using the original cable I began to get the following message "charging is not supported with this accessory".

Now, I used the cord that came with it which should not have gone bad within a week or so.

Since then, and only since then, I am beginning to have the same issue with my iPad which I NEVER had issues with before.

Also, I have purchased at least ten USB cords and adaptors.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY REAL IDEA ABOUT THIS ISSUE??

I've always been a PC person and I was considering switching over to MAC until this. I know Apple knows about this especially with all of the posts on APPLES's forum regarding this issue. I'm really...really ****** that Apple would take advantage of its customers this way. I'm not crazy. Every reply offers the same suggestions yet, with the issues I have and in the order in which I've experienced them, the suggestions don't fit.

Some manufacturers consider the deaths their product will cause as a cost of doing business. They figure settlements for the deaths are very small compared to the profit margin. Apple has figured in this "possible" loss of customers as a cost of doing business. Since this issue doesn't happen to everyone, or at least not enough people, a bandwagon can't get going. So they figure there will be a few (thousands) of issues regarding the error "charging is not supported with this accessory," although it's Apple's accessory. But not enough to make Apple pay attention! Classic capitalism!

My freakin’ expensive iPad is one large glorified coaster! Can you believe it?! An $800 coaster!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 8:00 PM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2012 9:14 PM in response to Tina16

This warning is issued by the device Power Management Circuitry Chip. It does this when is senses abnormal input to device or the Chip itself is faulty. What causes this problem, as stated "accessory is not supported or faulty" or the USB Cable connecting the devices is faulty, or the device charging port is shorting either due to dirt or damage. Dirt can be cleaned, damage requires replacement of charging dock assembly. If the Power Management Chip is faulty, replacement of the chip requires microsoldering skills.

Sep 27, 2012 9:42 PM in response to brad805

Thanks for response. Do you work for Apple? For months I've been on the board searching for answers and this is the very first time I've ever come upon such a response that offers something new, as well as previous suggestions.

"It does this when is senses abnormal input to device or the Chip itself is faulty."

I would consider this if my iPad hadn't started this once I brought the iPhone home. If the chip is faulty or the port is dirty...iPad two years old...could be...iPhone brand new...I don't think so.

"...as stated "accessory is not supported or faulty""

Brand new cord(s)...Apple cords...how is it Apple cords don't support Apple products?

"The USB Cable connecting the devices is faulty..."

Again, brand new cord(s)

"...or the device charging port is shorting either due to dirt or damage."

Too much of a coincidence. Two year old iPad, without any previous issues, and a brand new iPhone...???

"Dirt can be cleaned..."

Too much of a coincidence. How much dirt can a new iPhone have?

"...replacement of charging dock assembly...Power Management Chip is faulty..."

Again, no previous issues with iPad until iPhone. Same issue on two different devices, one older and one new. Doesn't make sense.

"Replacement of the chip requires microsoldering skills."

"I shouldn't need them."

Charging Is Not Supported With This Accessory...Yeah...Right...Whatever...Liars!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.