Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac G5

Hello people,

I have an old Imac G5? When it starts up it loads to the blue screen and will stay there for hours.. I just want to get all my old pictures and videos!!

iMac, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 8:40 PM

4 replies

Sep 29, 2012 4:00 AM in response to Nicholeamara

It seems like the hard drive died or you have corrupted system files (maybe you force shutdown using power button and it corrupted the system). First of all, try safe mode (press Shift key while booting), and try resetting SMU and PMU.

If it doesn't work:

If you have a FireWire disk and system installation disk (or retail DVDs of Tiger or Leopard).

- Conect an external FireWire disk

- Boot up from your Mac's installation disk and install the system in the FireWire disk

- Boot up from the fresh installation in your FireWire disk (hold Alt key while booting to select boot disk)

- Then you should be in Mac OS X again. Copy all your files into an USB or something.

- Done! You can reboot again from installation disk and reinstall Mac OS X into iMac's internal hard drive.

If you haven't got any FireWire disk or system install disk, but you have another Mac with firewire, follow the next steps:

- Connect a FireWire cable between both Macs

- Turn on your iMac and press down "T" key while booting to access to Target Disk mode

- Now, the iMac's hard drive should appear in the other Mac. Copy all your files to your Mac or an USB.

Imac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.