Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which external hard drive > usb2 or firewire 800 for video

Hi,

Putting my dvd's on external hard drive. Have it down to Western Digital usb 2 or Western Digital firewire 800. I have a mid 2011 27" imac so I can use eihter one. I called Apple support and they said either one would work. But just want to get another opinion. I will use the external only for dvd to view on Apple TV. I am purchasing a 3 TB > any idea how many dvd's I can put on 3 TB? I have about 500 dvd in my collection.

Thank you

VPH

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 4:40 AM

Personally, I wouldn't get a WD external hard drive, as there have been a number of posts about bad electronics that fail in the box. I use, and would recommend, an external hard drive from OWC, as many of the cases use Oxford chipsets which work well with macs.

6 replies

Sep 28, 2012 4:48 AM in response to vph1252q

I can watch 1280x720p HD video from a Firewire 400 on an external drive with no problem, so you should be fine with the later model USB2 or Firewire 800.

You certainly have an extensive DVD collection.

PS. I am just talking about conection speeds here, not brands of hardware, as I stay neutral in that area.

Message was edited by: roam

Sep 28, 2012 5:08 AM in response to vph1252q

The numbers at least theoretically are:

USB2 has a theoretical maximum of 480M/sec similar to Firewire 400, and Firewire 800 is approximately twice as fast.

When it comes to transferring data, (such as backing up or downloading), e.g., a photo album, the transfer speed from a FW800 drive is noticably so much quicker than a FW400.

This will not affect your video viewing, but as mentioned by Klaus, one day the drive may be used for another purpose. Ah, decisions!

Which external hard drive > usb2 or firewire 800 for video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.