Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software gets uninstalled when I shut down my MacBook

Why does software like VLC player and Skype get uninstalled everytime I shut down my MacBook Pro?! It doesn't make any sense! I have to re-install them everytime I turn the computer on! I bought the MacBook about 1 month ago, and it's working perfectly fine apart from this problem. Does anyone know what the problem is??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 7:52 AM

It's possible you didn't drag the associated program into the Applicaitons folder or run the installer, your running the program instead from the window the dmg makes when you open it from the Downloads folder next to your Trash can on the Dock.

Some programs are self contained, everything is one package and you drop it into Applications, others use a installer program to install the program in various locations.

The dmg is a "volume" thus when your shutdown the comptuer it's unmounted, you don't see it, so you go to the site download the program again and it opens itself into a window that your running from again.

However if you look in your Downloads folder, you will see multiple copies of the download file.

Another possible is someone installed Deep Freeze on the Mac, which upon a reboot will set the machne back to what it was before it was frozen, this is security IT measure to prevent people from altering the machine or installing unknown software/malware.

Another remote possibility is you don't have "Anywhere" set for the Gate Keeper in your System Preferences.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2012 7:52 AM in response to Nattestad

It's possible you didn't drag the associated program into the Applicaitons folder or run the installer, your running the program instead from the window the dmg makes when you open it from the Downloads folder next to your Trash can on the Dock.

Some programs are self contained, everything is one package and you drop it into Applications, others use a installer program to install the program in various locations.

The dmg is a "volume" thus when your shutdown the comptuer it's unmounted, you don't see it, so you go to the site download the program again and it opens itself into a window that your running from again.

However if you look in your Downloads folder, you will see multiple copies of the download file.

Another possible is someone installed Deep Freeze on the Mac, which upon a reboot will set the machne back to what it was before it was frozen, this is security IT measure to prevent people from altering the machine or installing unknown software/malware.

Another remote possibility is you don't have "Anywhere" set for the Gate Keeper in your System Preferences.

Sep 28, 2012 10:01 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

That's it! Thank you very much! 🙂

Software gets uninstalled when I shut down my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.